Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a big block crate motor preferably a 454 with aluminum heads and in the range of 450-500 HP. I am looking to spend around 5-6 thousand for the motor. Any suggestions on suppliers or manufacturers that is in this price range for this HP.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Check gm's website they have lots of good sales right now on crate motors..summit sells them,jegs,billmitchell....

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
There is a guy on here named Mark (vortecpro). He used to sell motors on ebay that folks on here talked very highly about.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
check the classifieds ,there is a 468 for 3000.00 with all the goodies..a real good deal on it...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here is a place that sells GM crate engines.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/nbspnbspBig-Blocks-C54.aspx?UserID=8371866&SessionID=Cf4ux2M6N2tIqoDXjciV

The ZZ454 is about 300 less that Summit. ( need to compare shipping and taxes. ). You may want to visit a local Performance GM dealer. A lot of them have crate engines in stock that they probably want to deal with. If you are not in a super rush, keep tabs on eBay. A brand new crate engine sometimes come up for a great deal. Just need to really check the sellers feedback and contact them first with a general question to see how responsive they are. I'm sure you can get a great deal from a GM dealer though.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I think this depends a lot on what you want. If you want a off the shelf crate motor then it's kinda hard to beat what GM offers. On the other hand if you want something custom or even semi-custom then there are way too many options to list in a single post. I spent 9 months trying to decide what I was going to do - build a motor or buy a motor and if buy, from who. After talking with over 40 engine shops across the US I decided to buy my new motor from Phoenix Engine Rebuilders. They offered what I wanted at what I felt was a reasonable price delivered to my door. What really sold me on them was the level of knowledge their staff had and their willingness to spend time with me over the phone discussing what I wanted. Another minor factor for me was no sales tax which allowed me to use that money for more parts instead of letting the politicians squander it.

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated nor do I have any financial interest in Phoenix Engine Rebuilders.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
find a good local machinist and talk to him about what you want and have it built for you. this is really the only way to get the perfect motor for your car, and if there is any kind of a problem you know where to go to get it taken care of.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Year One used to have a Power Crate 454 like only a month or so ago that was exactly what you're asking about for $4995. I don't see it on their site anymore though.... Maybe a phone call....

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
There is a guy on here named Mark (vortecpro). He used to sell motors on ebay that folks on here talked very highly about.
Like Ron said^.if you do not contact Mark(vortecpro)..you are doing yourself a disservice.
The zz line of big blocks have been known to have oil consumption issues..rings upside down and upper cyl bore distortion..typical of cyls honed without a torque plate installed.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Re: looking for Chevy crate motor

There are several of us engine builders on here that could supply what you are looking for. At least you were honest in what you want to spend.

My self ,Bill Koustenis, CNC blocks

Ps: Don,t aways shop for the cheapest price 9 times out of 10 it will bite you.
Look at the parts that are in it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I contacted Mark and he only builds with cast iron heads. My suspension is already set up for a big block with aluminum heads

1 - 16 of 16 Posts