Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to be brief so you won't need to read a book.
Had my 68 for a couple months and it had a drivers side rear end lean. I put on new leaf springs, poly bushings, shackles, jbolts, etc. Redid it all and it now it sits pretty good.

That got the ball rolling. I just replaced all the body bushings this weekend and that stopped an annoying squeak when I'd turn corners. Front left bushing was shot and stuck, not much rubber left. All done & good.

Figured I would replace all ball joints, bushings, tie rods, idler arm, sleeves and just be done with the bottom end. I said screw it and ordered tubular arms and all the other pieces (tie rod ends, etc) and thinking about QA1 coilovers.

But the thing is my car drives really well as it sits now. I don't NEED to do the front end, I'm pretty happy with how it drives. Should I really put $1000+ into it or just wait until I have to. By the way, the ball joints, tie rod ends, etc all look pretty gunky, rubber is going bad. When greasing them it just comes out. my bump stop right now is hitting a little (car is lowered 2") This is why I figured I should just get it all done now.

So my options are
1) Do nothing, spend the money on something else
2) keep the stock arms, rebuild it all with new stuff
(since I like the way it drives now)

3) tubular arms, replace tie rods, etc, keep the current springs/shocks
4) tubular arms, replace all, coil overs ....most costly option

At first I thought the previous owner cut the springs but when I look at them I know they aren't stock. They are a light blue color,hint of gray. From pictures they may be hotchkis 2" drop springs. I won't know until I take them out.

I'm at a standstill with the arms on the way here..I could just send them back. BTW, they are the newer "upgraded hardware" CPP arms which are the famous ebay arms....but latest version for $399 all four.

Also at some point I will probably put 10,000 miles per year on this car. Almost a daily driver if that matters. I'm just looking for some opinions since I am probably overthinking it at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
These cars are an addiction! Given the car "already drives really well", I recommend leaving it alone and invest the money you would have spent into your investments/retirement savings account and watch it grow! That's the smart play…….

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea these cars really are an addiction!
My retirement is already taken care of. I have a "camaro budget" of about $10k over the next 3 years (doesn't include paint) and i can see things add up quickly. I just don't know if tubular arms and coilovers are overated, especially for mild daily driving. Or if I will be really glad i have that setup later on.

·
Super Moderator
32,520 Posts
Nothing wrong with losing unsprung weight in the Camaro.
Less weight means less mass to accelerate/decelerate = quicker times.
As my late Grandfather said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
An Engineer will say "Keep fixing it until it breaks, then back up one step."

Saving your nickels & dimes and could have bought this all at once:
https://www.cachassisworks.com/c-520-camaro-67-69-gm-f-body.aspx

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing wrong with losing unsprung weight in the Camaro.
Less weight means less mass to accelerate/decelerate = quicker times.
As my late Grandfather said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
An Engineer will say "Keep fixing it until it breaks, then back up one step."

Saving your nickels & dimes and could have bought this all at once:
https://www.cachassisworks.com/c-520-camaro-67-69-gm-f-body.aspx
I like that Engineer quote!
Wow that front end system is half my budget! That won't work. I still need interior and a new top (convertible)...and rims/tires. Engine/trans are new.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'd probably fix what needed to be fixed. Not sure that riding around on rotten rubber is the best thing for your ride or your safety. It's easy to get sucked into the domino effect, but if you have your eye on some other things, I would just replace what needed it and divide the funds out.

·
Registered
426 Posts
So my options are
1) Do nothing, spend the money on something else
2) keep the stock arms, rebuild it all with new stuff
(since I like the way it drives now)

3) tubular arms, replace tie rods, etc, keep the current springs/shocks
4) tubular arms, replace all, coil overs ....most costly option
My vote is to go with option 2.

Last time we had our '69 out for a spin I told my wife "I can't believe how nice this car drives for a 45 year old car". It is stock.

They were really good right out of the box :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Don't spend the 1K. . .I have gone full circle on front end suspension, I would replace the front end with OE for a lot less money unless you plan on road racing and need a tricked out front end. You can get Moog front end stuff at Autozone for a coupla hundred when you really need it, then put a bigger sway bar and a IROC steering box, Gabriel gas shocks and new rubber and you will have a nice driver. Put that new top and interior on and it will look brand new. . . .just an old guy talkin!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got all the Moog stuff , everything but the pitman arm is getting replaced and I have power steering and disc brakes already. I got the arms in today with the thought that I may just send them back and leave it alone for now. But I checked out the arms and they are really nice. See pic below. Welds look great, heavy and very solid!

So at $100 per arm it's sort of silly for me to not do it at this point. Sometimes I will spend $300 just going out one night. The big expense really comes from the QA1 coilovers so I've decided to keep the new arms, replace all tie rods, ball joints, etc with Moog stuff and still deciding on springs/shocks.

I'm about $500 in right now which isn't bad for all I have sitting here.
My main thing was this. It's lowered now and the bump stops are hitting and I believe these new arms will eliminate that issue. Also I won't need to do this again, maybe ever. The tie rods and ball joints are sort of a mess as it sits now but it does drive ok.

So right now I'm just deciding to keep my springs and I'll have to use a coil spring isolator to lift it back up some (since the arms drop it 1 - 1/5") or get the coilovers and have options later on with stance.

I'll post back when I decide and get it all installed to hopefully report back that it drives much better and like 67Rally said above, tubular arms do look cool! Then again I may report back and said WTF did I just do if it rides like crap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts