Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Can you provide a little more info on your combination? Power and torque, tire size and type, auto or stick, rear gears??

Caltracs can work great, especially with their split mono springs and good shocks. Front springs and shocks are also important for traction.

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
791 Posts
That looks like channel iron that someone fabricated to replace the factory perch plate which probably broke at the shock mount.
It might not be as bad with the factory radius rod that came on the 67s but….
Caltrains would be superior to most bolt on stuff

·
Registered
67 Camaro SS/RS L78 M20 Convertible
275 Posts
you basically got 3 choices:
  • slapper bars do help, but have the worst disadvantages regarding handling of the car.
  • underrider bars (attachted to spring - not slapping) like traction masters offer the same traction, but let the car handle normally.
  • bars with pivot around the spring pocket like cal tracs produce the highest traction and also let the car handle normally.

in my case i went with traction masters since i didnt want more traction actually, but "mainly" to inhibit wheel hop.

·
20,994 Posts
Multi-leaf spring would also be a help.

Wheel hop....with any "traction aid" it can still happen, just the likelihood goes down with each step up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would it be possible to go with a multi-leaf since the perch plate has been fabricated? Won't the height be affected by a multi-leaf? (Sit higher)

·
Premium Member
1968 Camaro LS3 TH400 Moser 9” DSE mini tubs
791 Posts
Would it be possible to go with a multi-leaf since the perch plate has been fabricated? Won't the height be affected by a multi-leaf? (Sit higher)
They make a kit to convert mono to multi, and replacement lower shock plates are available.
I think ride height change would be minimal and most likely a little lower, but it depends on arch, condition and, weight.
I have stock replacement multi leaf( according to the Eaton tag) and they were a little less than the mono leaf.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Those are Ford perches on the rear end housing and they will work fine. If you go with Caltracs go with their split mono springs also. That's what I have on my car. My car sits fairly low in the rear with a tall tire and it will drag the Caltrac plate in the front and I trimmed them for clearance.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
832 Posts
you basically got 3 choices:
  • slapper bars do help, but have the worst disadvantages regarding handling of the car.
  • underrider bars (attachted to spring - not slapping) like traction masters offer the same traction, but let the car handle normally.
  • bars with pivot around the spring pocket like cal tracs produce the highest traction and also let the car handle normally.

in my case i went with traction masters since i didnt want more traction actually, but "mainly" to inhibit wheel hop.
Would you mind posting a side pic of the traction master bars installed on your rear end and leafs so we can actually see this item. Tks.

·
20,994 Posts
Multi-leaf could raise/lower/or be the same...all comes down to your springs and their condition now.

They do make 2 different CalTrac's (one standard and one lowered)

Product Font Circle Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle

Reactions: sklip

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Call Eaton springs and talk to mike. They will have a multi spring to match the height you want and will also suggest a shock. They are the experts. Staggered shocks were to help the wheel hop in 68-69

·
Registered
275 Posts
Would you mind posting a side pic of the traction master bars installed on your rear end and leafs so we can actually see this item. Tks.
sorry dont have a pic handy, but its basically like this:

67 camaro with multi 5-leaf conversion, still non-staggered shocks and traction-masters.
monroe load adjusting shocks with extra coil spring to raise the rear 2".
smoother than the red gabriel from before.
what i like about them: they work perfect and and very low profile. you barely see them, clearance near stock.

Gary Keyes' 1968 Dana SS/RS 427 Camaro Project - Chevy Hardcore

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Nickey i would have liked even more but they are triple the price:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,839 Posts
sorry dont have a pic handy, but its basically like this:

67 camaro with multi 5-leaf conversion, still non-staggered shocks and traction-masters.
monroe load adjusting shocks with extra coil spring to raise the rear 2".
smoother than the red gabriel from before.
what i like about them: they work perfect and and very low profile. you barely see them, clearance near stock.

Gary Keyes' 1968 Dana SS/RS 427 Camaro Project - Chevy Hardcore

View attachment 289534
Those don't appear to be the "Traction Master" brand, but I've seen tons of knockoffs over the years. Those seem attached to the leaf spring, sort of a variant on the Cal-Trac design. The original Traction Masters looked pretty much like this TM Photo of their 1st Gen Camaro bars:

Nickel Auto part Machine Metal Aluminium

Basically a tubular heavy wall steel tube with bosses welded on at either end. The front mount was either bolted or welded on to the frame and there was no adjustment whatsoever. The newer knockoff versions of the old design have Heim joints front and rear for adjustment and you'll see a lot of them used in drag trucks. Carroll Shelby put the basic Traction Masters on all his original Shelby Mustangs, and most everybody back in the '60's with a solid rear axle was running either TM's or some DIY clone of the TM design. The slapper bars were the quick/cheap solution with no welding involved. I forget when CalTracs started appearing but rumor had it that they first were used on SuperStock Fords because of the Ford leaf spring design. One of my old drag buddies had said where the axle sits on the spring arc plays a role in minimizing wheel hop on a hard launch. Maybe that's true, I'm not sure. Bottom line is if those bars work for you that's all that's important.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Those don't appear to be the "Traction Master" brand, but I've seen tons of knockoffs over the years. Those seem attached to the leaf spring, sort of a variant on the Cal-Trac design. The original Traction Masters looked pretty much like this TM Photo of their 1st Gen Camaro bars:

View attachment 289537

Basically a tubular heavy wall steel tube with bosses welded on at either end. The front mount was either bolted or welded on to the frame and there was no adjustment whatsoever. The newer knockoff versions of the old design have Heim joints front and rear for adjustment and you'll see a lot of them used in drag trucks. Carroll Shelby put the basic Traction Masters on all his original Shelby Mustangs, and most everybody back in the '60's with a solid rear axle was running either TM's or some DIY clone of the TM design. The slapper bars were the quick/cheap solution with no welding involved. I forget when CalTracs started appearing but rumor had it that they first were used on SuperStock Fords because of the Ford leaf spring design. One of my old drag buddies had said where the axle sits on the spring arc plays a role in minimizing wheel hop on a hard launch. Maybe that's true, I'm not sure. Bottom line is if those bars work for you that's all that's important.
this is their typical design, bar attached to chassis.
But In some cases they alter the design and attach the bar to spring itself near pocket, just like as in the first pic.
If you order their 67-69 f-body version, its the one with leaf attachment, just like in the magazine article.
I think the chassis attach method works same regarding torsion inhibiting, but produces a tad more traction.
The pivot-style cal-tracs, which actually push the leaf down when transmitting torsion, produces the highest traction.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,839 Posts
They probably use a generic photo of their basic old traction bars. I think I read somewhere that ladder bars give you the best traction followed by the Cal-Tracs, but very few street cars are looking to run ladder bars although I think there's a couple of pro-street 1st Gens around here that have them... but they are running immense tires. I asked one of those guys how it rode and he laughed... and said "rides like crap, but there's plenty of traction and it goes straight"LOL.

I've never built a 4-link car, couple of my buddies have 'em, and they love them but also say they are a bit harder to set up for an optimized launch versus a decent ride because there's so many variables with all the connections. I always thought it would be easier, but again... I've never messed with one at the track. These days all I'm interested in is decent handling on the great mountain roads we have around here and keeping my teeth in place.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts