Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much will this project cost me?
should I restore the exterior and interior 1st? How much will it cost to get rid of rust? I want a pro to do all the body/paint/interior
or should I build the drivetrain 1st? I can do this. crate? or piece together?
Thanks
How much is a good amount of $ to start with.

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
I must be missing something here. What are we starting with?
As far as how much $$ to start with.... LOTS and then double that

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm currently restoring a 67 Camaro.

Started with restoring suspension, brakes, rear end, bearings. Then moving on to engine, trans. I'll then sand her down, have it professionally painted while the engine is out. Then LAST comes the interior. Don't want to get overspray or screw up interior with a screw driver in my back pocket while doing all the other stuff.

Here's what she looks like right now.
http://www.fbody.com/members/2001RagTop/Best67.jpg

Bought her for $2,500.00 and so far I have about an additional $1,500.00 in her without touching engine (runs fine for now).

Oh, all new weather stripping goes on last.

She's currently up in the air getting new rear axle bearings and have all the parts for all new rear brakes. A sandblast cabinet is real useful for taking off the rust on brake backing plates, drums and other assorted parts.

Randy

------------------
1967 RS M3 with original 327
2001 Black Z28 Convertible

[This message has been edited by 67RSM3 (edited 03-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by 67RSM3 (edited 03-28-2002).]

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
looks pretty good from the picture, if the paint is in bad shape and the picture hids it, well then there is a good place to start, you can get rid of any starting rust problems in the process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I probably will have ~$10K to start, but how far can that take me?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's really a relative question. It depends on what the car needs. If it has quite a bit of rust and needs an engine and trans rebuild, $10,000 probably won't get it done. On the other hand, if the rust is very minor and the motor is sound with no other major problems, you might be in the ballpark.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
in the restoration/tech section of this site, accessible from the main page at www.camaros.net , there is a good article about restoring a car and all of the troubles and extra costs you may run into. Might want to check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.