Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a 67 model 327 that we have had sitting around for a while running and now it seems as though the balancer is loose. Of corse this crank has no bolt. Is there a balancer available that has an undersize hole? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for ideas.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Jim is the motor out of the car? If so it's pretty easy to drill and tap the crank for a balancer bolt. It's quite a bit more difficult to do in the car.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Jim is the motor out of the car? If so it's pretty easy to drill and tap the crank for a balancer bolt. It's quite a bit more difficult to do in the car.
I drilled and tapped my 327 with the engine in the car. It was pretty easy with the radiator out.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Jim sorry to hear that. It's darn near impossible to do a good job of it with the engine installed. I have had the same problem you are experiencing a long time ago. What I did was to pick up a handful of balancers of the correct size and found the tightest fitting one that I could. I have also seen crank noses brazed and turned back down to build up the outside diamter of the crank nose. I had a small journal 327 forged crank recently that had been repaired this way before I bought it. But again it would require removal of not only the engin, but the crank also I would think. I wish I had some better advise for you.

I guess I'd pull the radiator, water pump and anything else in the way and try to drill and tap it in the vehicle if you can get a straight shot at it.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
You can use a center punch and divot the snout ALL over to raise the surface to help tighten it up. Think of it as "knurling" the snout!

Then also use Lock-Tite as well as the bolt.

pdq67

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Ok, do this okie field repair.
Stick your balancer on about halfway. Find a round piece of scrap metal that fits the ID of the balancer so-so. A pipe reducer, collar, socket, something. Drill a hole in the center of it if you need to. You need it to have a hole in the center that fitrs your drill. This will help you keep your drill straight. Then drill the crank about an inch deep and tap it to 7/16 fine(try to get an inch of threads in there). Peen the snout of the crank lightly(snout can bend believe it or not) and buy a new balancer(may require a speedi sleeve, seperate subject). Put a little blue loctite on the crank when you assemble(blue not red dammit), a little oil or wd40 on the OD of the balancer for the seal, and antisleeze on a grade 8 bolt with a genuine balancer washer, 2 bops with a 1/2" impact maybe 3 if yours is weak.

Size the bolt length so that you have at least a diameter's worth of thread length gripping in the crank(over 7/16).Grade 5 works ok too. An extra washer to make a too long bolt work out is ok also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts