Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a couple of posts on how to remove the glove box lock (1969) but what if you only need to tighten it? Mine rotates a little and a friends' is terribly loose.

·
Registered
551 Posts
You have to remove the lock to get to the hex shaped housing, to tighten it.

I just went through this and it is a royal pain in the a$$ to get that lock tumbler out. The best chance is to follow the pictures posted on it. Do a search and you'll find them. I think it was a Team Chev link.

Make the little coat hanger tool, it's needed and it works. I made an additional tool. Another coat hanger tool that is mostly a straight shaft. First, for a quick tour, go to How Things Work, do a search and read the how locks work. This helps while trying to imagine pulling the lock.

The one thing the other messages do not mention is while you use this little tool to hold down the one tumbler at a time, the act of holding down the tumbler is also holding the lock assembly, which is stopping it moving out. (The lock assembly is spring loaded.) :mad:

This is where things get frustrating. You need to hold the tumbler down so the lock can pop out (under spring pressure) but by holding it down, the spring can't push out the lock.

The answer is to take the other tool, a straight piece of coat hanger and go in through the very back of the lock assembly. You'll see a notch and the spring will be visible. While holding down the tumbler, push the back of the lock assembly and it will pop past the tumbler you're holding, to the next tumbler. As far as touch goes. It's a light touch to hold down the tumbler, a slightly heavier touch while pushing at the back of the assembly. You're just giving the spring a little extra push but I found that it was taking FOREVER until I did this.

Repeat. I think there's five that will need to be held down before it's out.

Put a masking tape mark on the lock and the door so you install it to the correct postion. (Don't ask.)

Rick.

·
Retired
16,007 Posts
Dave got your email at the same time I found your post here. There is a good site I used to redo my glove box lock too. Here it is, be patient, take the lid off the frame for easier time working with it too.
good luck

http://personal.riverusers.com/~mcphelps/glovebox.htm

·
Premium Member
6,550 Posts
I thought it was real easy to dissamble the lock and take the thing apart. I followed the directions in the link that click provided and it came out easy. Once the tumbler is out, you will see the hex shaped, threaded thing that screws into the base of the lock. This is the thing that can be easily turned to tighten the assembly.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I followed those instructions but I also used needle nose pliers to tug on the outer knob to help it come apart. Success. I didn't have a hex wrench to fit the nut so I improvised and hopefully got it tight enough for a while.
Thanks.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Pulling w/the needle nose is the same as pushing the lock from the back. I tried that myself but the pliers looked like they might scratch the chrome.

It's almost funny once it's out. All that frustration 'cause of those little tabs!

R-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts