Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LOS 1969 04A Build date Z/28 and noticed the vin number is stamped on the engine pad,not down by the oil filter.I know of another LOS 1969 04A build date with the vin number stamped on the engine pad.I read somewhere that the LOS and NOR cars changed the vin location to the bellhousing lip oil filter area.What month did this happen for the LOS cars and NOR cars? Dan

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Dan,
Van Nuys was stamping the partial VIN on the pad in April (and also in Feburary). Interestingly, VN was stamping the partial VIN by the oil filter in November of '68. I'm using these months as I've personally seen original blocks stamped this way.

I believe Norwood went from pad stamping to the oil filter area around January of '69. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Doug

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
My Los V8 has the partial VIN on the oil filter boss area but its so faint I cant see it clearly at all. Have to wait for the engine to come out someday to see it and take a pic of it :) Its an Oct 68 built car. :)

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
My 01D has the partial on the pad.

124379L519275

·
Registered
78 Posts
CRG (Camaros.org) states sometime in October 1968 stamps at Van Nuys were by the oil filter - sometime around February the plant started stamping the pad. Norwood stamps were changed around December 1968 and did not move again.

·
Premium Member
4,395 Posts
Of my Van Nuys built cars...my 03D 68 RS SS BB car has the VIN on the pad... my 69 Z built 03D and has the VIN on the pad

·
Registered
445 Posts
my 09C 67 327 doesn't have it on the pad. I haven't been able to see it by the oil filter either. I thought I read here before that this was right. I know you guys are talking about 69's but someone said CRG stated that in 68 it moved to the oil filter area. What about 67?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Hey I noticed both these 04A cars I mentioned,one being mine have the 618 block. By the way it still has the 3943289 tag bolt to the side cover of the muncie trans.Getting back to the engine stamping,both these 04A cars engine stamped pad date are before the 04A build date by weeks.Found that interesting with the 2 cars.Were the Norwood cars closer with these dates,build date and stamped date on engine?? Dan

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Dan,
As a point of reference to your last question my Van Nuys car's engine was cast B59 and assembled 0211. I have an 02C build date on the cowl.
Doug

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doug,Thanks for the info on the Feb 69 (02C) car,do you have info on the April 69 (04?) car you mentioned in your first post? Thanks a bunch!! Dan

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Doug,Thanks for the info on the Feb 69 (02C) car,do you have info on the April 69 (04?) car you mentioned in your first post? Thanks a bunch!! Dan
Dan,
No I don't have the same info for the April built engine.
Doug

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Thanks Doug,,,,Check this out my casting date is B59 too on my 618 DZ motor...Dan
Dan,
You have a B59 cast date in an 04A Norwood car?
Doug

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Dan,
OK I feel stupid, if I could only read english :eek:

So your 04A VN car's engine is cast B59?

Doug

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Thanks guys! Hey I noticed both these 04A cars I mentioned,one being mine have the 618 block. By the way it still has the 3943289 tag bolt to the side cover of the muncie trans.Getting back to the engine stamping,both these 04A cars engine stamped pad date are before the 04A build date by weeks.Found that interesting with the 2 cars.Were the Norwood cars closer with these dates,build date and stamped date on engine?? Dan
I'm starting to think GM had a surplus of Feb./69 cast blocks as my 04C Nor. car has a D219 dated block

1 - 19 of 19 Posts