Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 camaro which has developed quite an electrical problem which is getting worse by the day.
The first symptom appeared as I was driving home the other evening. In short when I turned the headlights on my fuel & temp gauges stopped working. Then, when I turned & removed the key from the ignition the engine kept running. realizing that the lights were still on I turned them off & the engine shut down.
The next day the car would intermittantly the same symptoms even with the lights off.(This condition is always present when the parking lights are turned on)
just tonight a new symptom arose. when the parking & head lights are off the console gauges light up & the fuel & temp gauges work properly. turning the parking lights on activates the dash lights but shuts the console gauge lights off & disables the fuel & temp gauges. (This happens whether or not the engine is running or not or the ignition is on or off)
The car has a Holley electric fuel pump which is activated when the ignition is turned on. when the engine keeps running after removing the ignition key the fuel pump does NOT keep running. it is shut off with the ignition.
The car is also equipped with an MSD ignition system. I was told that a faulty diode in the MSD could cause such a problem and to test it by disconnecting the voltage regulator & the plug behind the alternator. If this cleared the problem then the diode was bad.
Alas the problem persisted even after following these instructions.
Is there anything I can try short of changing all the harnesses

Glytch

·
Registered
448 Posts
Is the extra diode that comes with the MSD installed in the #4 wire at the voltage regulator?

------------------
Black 69 camaro

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't know about all of your problems, but I had the problem of the fuel and temp gauge not working when the lights were on. The problem was that one of the light sockets on one of the console gauges had come lose and fell apart and the hot wire was touching ground. (Is one of the gauge lights not on?)

Pull the console gauge cover and look for wires touching places they shouldn't. If a light socket falls out and apart a wire in there could be touching ground. (Or a hot wire on the amp meter? This could provide juice to keep the car running.) Maybe its bouncing around to different places.

Hope this helps

------------------
Ray

68 SS Convertible
Corvette(77) Yellow
383 w/DFI Fuel Injection
on MiniRamII intake,
Trick Flow heads
700R4, 3.31 12bolt Posi
Guildstrand Mod
AGR 12:1 power steering
Baer 13" front brakes (Couldn't find time to make my on bracket)
550# Hypercoils with Landrum height adjusters

[This message has been edited by 68SSConvt (edited 07-08-2001).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts