Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when im on the highway just cruising at bout 55 everything is fine but when i floor it the rpms go up and the car does not respond.its almost like the transmission is slipping but i have a 6 speed so is that a bad clutch???also once i do get the car up to 75 mph or better i get a vibration coming from the rear. it only does this when i going 75 mph or faster never underneath those speeds.it almost sounds like a rubbing noise but there doesnt look like anything is rubbing. please help your input is appreciated, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,347 Posts
I would suspect a loose clutch as one is not clamping to transfer the power from the engine to the drive axle, hence the vibration from the rear.

If you acquire a higher mph, and you let up on the go pedal to cruise at said speed, does the vibration go away? Clutch is now holding and no slippage.

You may need a heavier clutch as the faster one goes, more air friction on the front of the car, more power from the engine as it is now in its powerband, clutch cannot hold, so it slips.

You might smell the bellhousing to smell a burnt disc. Good sign clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sometimes i can smell it but other times i cant.also while im on the highway if i do let go of the gas the vibration is still there.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
sometimes i can smell it but other times i cant.also while im on the highway if i do let go of the gas the vibration is still there.
If the vibration is still there when you let off the gas, i suspect drive shaft is out of balance and the pion angle may be off which this is best ichecked with a drive on lift to keep the weight on the suspension.

As far as the car not wanting to get up to speed can you give us some more details on the car/motor and drive train. I had this same problem that i am now chasing and had found out that my drive shaft is to short also i haven't checked my pion angle yet... The other thing is i have an MSD ignition and as i was getting up to speed i found my self staring at the tack wondering why it wasn't pulling up to 6000rpm's... I found out yesterday that the pickup on the distributor was on its way out, it was giving me a reading with my timing light at say 3000rpm's it was at 36* total and then when i gave it more rpm's it started to re-tard on me by about 6* re-tard so this tells me why it didn't want to pull the 6000rpm mark under a load. I checked to make sure it wasn't cam walking with this new motor and its not. Good luck and if you can give us a little more details.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i do in fact have an msd ignition.also the car is a 5.7 liter 350 engine not sure about the mileage i want to say about 90000 miles on it. when i baught the car the guy wasnt sure because the engine was replaced.thanks for all your help so far its really helping me out. also the rear end i believe is stock, might be an auburn not sure.the car is a 1994 camaro z28. i also believe the tranny might be stock as well as the driveshaft.the car itself has 150000+ miles on it.hope this is helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts