Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got through doing a bunch of work on the 68 and on the way home from the shop, I lost my turn signals and speedometer. I have the Covan Cluster with all electric gauges. I had taken the gas tank out to replace the shackles/shocks and had to cut the ground wire on the fuel sender because I could not get the wire disconnected. the old wire broke off and I just drilled a small hole in the ground paddle and used a small sheet metal screw and round connector to wire up the ground. The only other wire that I disconnected was the signal wire from the sender, but I snapped it back on before the tank went back in. the gauges are new (less than 200 miles on the whole setup). I test drove it about ten miles after everything went back in and all of the gauges worked fine. But when I left to come home the problems started. My headlights and brakelights work. My turn signals fail at the cluster and the bulb(both sides). When I depress the brake and turn on a signal, the brake light on the respective side goes out. So, if I've got the brake pressed and seeing red, when I turn on the left signal, the left rear light goes out and the right stays on and visa versa. Could it be the fuel sender signal wire...maybe it didn't get popped in all the way or is it something else? How can I check the ground that far back on the car?...there's no powered wire I can reach with my test light.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well on the way to work today, the speedo would kick in periodically, but if I used the turn signal, it would quit. Also, when it wasn't working and I used the turn signal, the speedo would jump to like 60 mph not matter how fast I wsa going. Any ideas?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well my first guess would be a bad or lose ground under the dash somewhere. Bad grounds have caused more electrical gremlins then any other problem known. It sounds like the high load of the flasher is creating more current load then whatever ground it is feeding through and opening up the curcuit.

Check all your grounds and I would ground the dash cluster (gauges) seperate then the stock harness. Electric gauges are more senstive to good grounds. Leave the stock turn signel switch grounded to the factory location (make sure it is good and clean). My .02 worth.

Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the fuse with a spot of rust. It wasn't making good contact in the panel. Used some scotch bright on the end of the fuse, a small file on the panel connection points and everything works now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts