Team Camaro Tech banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts
VC1810 B28, 3-5, 8 @ 5.75-8
1965 409 High Perf.
1965 327 High Perf.
1966 327 High Perf.
1964-67 Corvette High Perf. FI

These are the specs. It would have B28 stamped on the bracket. I think the Echlin unit was the only one out there. Keep trying all the NAPA stores.

Discussion starter · #42 · (Edited)
VC1810 B28, 3-5, 8 @ 5.75-8
1965 409 High Perf.
1965 327 High Perf.
1966 327 High Perf.
1964-67 Corvette High Perf. FI

These are the specs. It would have B28 stamped on the bracket. I think the Echlin unit was the only one out there. Keep trying all the NAPA stores.
Thanks Gary.

I will try a differant store later in the week, I wonder if a person could online and find it??

Edit....

Napa online shows the part # so I ordered it from them. Hopefully they have it in stock. I will let you all know if the order is filled. heck it might be worth picking up an extra if these are discontinuing them. Just a thought. :)

Thanks Again

I gotta say that a 1st Gen. Mustang Pony Car w/ a 271hp/289 will flat get w/ it!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Windsor_engine#289_.22HiPo.22_.28K-code.29

pdq67
That's damstraight.
Back in High School my best friend Marty's Mom had a Grand Prix and a 67 Stang w/289. We always tried to get him to borrow the Stang cuz Oh God, me and Marty and Jim could raise hell in that little thing. "Light em up Marty!" Just lookin for somehow to screw up is all we were!!!
Course the Grand Prix was no slouch either. Boys:D

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Here is the email I received this morning from Napa Online...

Thank you for shopping NAPAonline.com. We apologize for the delay in contacting you about your order.
We regret to inform you the Distributor Vacuum Control that you ordered is not available at this time. It is on factory back--order.
We do not have an estimated delivery date available. We have attempted to locate this item for you without success.
Your order has been cancelled. You will not incur any charges relating to the cancelled order.
We apologize for any inconvenience and again we thank you for shopping NAPAonline.com.

Regards, Customer Support
Have a great day!
NAPAonline.com

Anyone have have any other ideas where I might fing one?
Thanks again,
:beers:

I would say contact Echlin directly but I bet the things are made in China. But what the hey, contact Echlin anyways. I did see that either Classic Industries has adjustable vacuum cans( part # PX9006). Is that an option?

The other possibility is some Napa store has one sitting on the shelf gathering dust? Do they track inventory by store?

alan

You could put a set of pro magnum roller rockers on it to pick up a few more hp. You would probably have to use spacers for your valve covers if you have the stock ones on it. Since you want to keep the stock look, you could port the manifolds to clean up the casting on the inside. If you are running a 8" balancer, you could switch to a smaller 6 3/4" unit. That should allow the motor to rev up faster. Another thing would be a billet aluminum flywheel. It would cut more rotating mass off the engine to allow it to rev faster. A k&n x-stream top would help get more air into the motor. What gear are you running? 4.10s or a 4.56 would be great for that 302.

The Magnum roller tip rockers fit with no problem under stock valve covers. I have them. I think that is definitelty part of the equation to have the little extra lift provided over stock rockers.

Magnum's and pro magnums are 2 different rockers. The pro magnums would not fit with repro z/28 valve covers, too wide, the baffle wouldn't fit between then. Don said his fit after some minor squeezing of the baffles with his original valve covers.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Alan,

The Napa store I originally ordered it from said they called Echlin directly and it was discontinued:(

67SS&99SS,

All great ideas, but I wont remove any factory parts. I want it to run it's best but it must stay stock. I also agree on the gears but mine just has 3.73s.

Gary

I might look into the roller tips. i have an extra set of Erson roller rockers that are on the old motor out of my old Blue 69. I thought about tring them.

Jim

The erson roller rockers I mentioned did clear under a set Corvette finned valve covers( look just like my factory Z covers but have drippers) I had on my old blue 69.

Thanks to all for the help,

Discussion starter · #51 ·
update..,

Tonight I finally went out and drove the car after recurving the distributor. The car runs awesome. :hurray: It seems to really like the 18* initial and 38* total. I tell you guys, this isn't the same car it had been for the last 10 years. It is actually fun to drive and when you stab the throttle it flat screams above 4000 rpm and is very drivable down low in the lower rpms.

I would still really like to try and find a low vacumn, vacumn advance can for it but all in all I am thrilled with the results.

Thanks again to all for the help,

I ran into the Echlin thing too. I have a friend that works at a NAPA and got me a BWP part # V329 which is equivilant to the Echlin. It's even made in the USA. My vacuum is all in at idle and I have about 8-10 ".

Discussion starter · #53 ·
I ran into the Echlin thing too. I have a friend that works at a NAPA and got me a BWP part # V329 which is equivilant to the Echlin. It's even made in the USA. My vacuum is all in at idle and I have about 8-10 ".
Thanks Harvard,

I just got off the phone with the Napa store. Same story, Not available.. obsolete part. :(

update..,

Tonight I finally went out and drove the car after recurving the distributor. The car runs awesome. :hurray: It seems to really like the 18* initial and 38* total. I tell you guys, this isn't the same car it had been for the last 10 years. It is actually fun to drive and when you stab the throttle it flat screams above 4000 rpm and is very drivable down low in the lower rpms.

I would still really like to try and find a low vacumn, vacumn advance can for it but all in all I am thrilled with the results.

Thanks again to all for the help,
I have been trying to get others to undertand about the driveability issue. 1/2 the people just say 302 ..... no torque, a dog in town etc. The other 1/2 thinks a 1969 11:1 motor can not run on today's pump gas. I am so glad you verified this for me. I discovered this tuning trick by accident.

Only 1 company made this vacuum can for everyone. If JohnZ sees this thread he may be able to tell you who actually makes them.

Gary, can you explain what you mean when you say 18 degrees initial. I remember the factory spec was 4 BTDC with the vac advance plugged @950 rpm (or something close to that).

thanks

alan
The factory initial setting (4* BTDC) was intentionally retarded (in addition to "ported vacuum") from optimum to increase exhaust gas temperature to meet emission requirements at idle.

The vacuum advance cans are ALL made now by Standard Motor Products - they bought that business from Echlin, Niehoff, Borg-Warner, and Dana about two years ago. The equivalent numbers by brand (in case you find them in stock) for advance units that are fully-deployed at 8" Hg. are:

NAPA/Echlin VC-1810

Niehoff DR-305

Borg-Warner V329

Standard Motor Products VC-177

The next-best units (fully-deployed at 12" Hg.) are:

NAPA/Echlin VC-1765

Niehoff DR320

Borg-Warner V375

Standard Motor Products VC-181

Gary, can you explain what you mean when you say 18 degrees initial. I remember the factory spec was 4 BTDC with the vac advance plugged @950 rpm (or something close to that).

thanks

alan
I am sure there are more qualified people to explain why long duartion cams (like the 30-30) require a lot of initial timing to run correctly, as opposed to the way the factory specified for emmisions as JohnZ explained. I think it has to do with exhaust gas reversion due to overlap. Lean mixtures (such as at cruise and idle) need a lot of timing to get the combustion started. That is why full vacuum advance at idle works so well on the 302 motor. I helps them run cooler too. The following article by JohnZ is golden info.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11689.html

Discussion starter · #58 ·
JohnZ

Wow great info Thank you. Do you know which parts houses carry each brand? I know Napa had the echlin but who carries the niehoff, Borgwarner, and standard Motor Products brand names? Car Quest, Checker, Pep boys? I am not sure where to look for these.

Thanks Again, There is hope yet;)

Gary,

I am with you, Sure it doesnt have torque like a big block but it will cruise nicely down in the lower rpms. I can chug along in 3rd gear at 25 mph with no problem now. But the best part is when you stand on it above 4000 rpm that tach just zings past redline.:yes::D:D

most all engine run better with lots of advance, particularly under no load.

That's part of the reason you're trying to find that particular vacuum can, so you can hook it to manifold vacuum and get it to deplay at idle, adding another 10 degrees to that 18!

Others I'm sure are way more qualified than I to attempt to explain the anemic factory settings, but I've been tuning hi po engines since I was 13 years old, and they like a LOT of advance at low load.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
Checker auto / Parts America online shows all of the part #'s except the echlin VC-1810 so I will hit a checker auto tomorow and if they dont have it I will just order one online. :hurray:

41 - 60 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.