Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '68 RS/SS with the console mounted gauges and have a question as to the correct mounting of the low fuel warning relay. The existing one that's hooked up now is zip tied onto a small L shaped bracket that's mounted on one of the fuel gauge studs. It also has a light bulb socket built into it? This makes me feel that it's not the correct relay for a '68, since the '68's warning light is in the dash gauge housing. This relay might be for a '67 since the console gauges were not used in that year. Anyway, I'm replacing it with a new one because it's burned out and would like to find out if it's really supposed to mounted on a bracket or if it's just supposed to be wired to the fuel gauge studs and hang in the back of the assembly? I wonder if by having it mounted on one of the fuel gauge studs, it could cause problems like shorts? I have numerous booklets that show the console gauge assembly and all the wiring but they don't show the low fuel warning relay on them. Any info that I could get on the correct mounting of this relay would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mark

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
I own a '68 RS/SS with the console mounted gauges and have a question as to the correct mounting of the low fuel warning relay. The existing one that's hooked up now is zip tied onto a small L shaped bracket that's mounted on one of the fuel gauge studs. It also has a light bulb socket built into it? This makes me feel that it's not the correct relay for a '68, since the '68's warning light is in the dash gauge housing. This relay might be for a '67 since the console gauges were not used in that year. Anyway, I'm replacing it with a new one because it's burned out and would like to find out if it's really supposed to mounted on a bracket or if it's just supposed to be wired to the fuel gauge studs and hang in the back of the assembly? I wonder if by having it mounted on one of the fuel gauge studs, it could cause problems like shorts? I have numerous booklets that show the console gauge assembly and all the wiring but they don't show the low fuel warning relay on them. Any info that I could get on the correct mounting of this relay would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Mark
You have the correct one. The socket is not used in the Camaro console other then to secure the unit in the back of the cluster. Just pop it in the hole and your done. Stick a bulb in it and the readings will be way off.

See the attached pictures for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot Brian. That's exactly what I was looking for. I knew that someone on here would have the answer!!

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
No problem Just wish I could get the photos both to stay in a clockwise rotation. LOL
Glad you got what you needed out of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts