Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a heck of a time trying to get my lower A-arm bolts out. They are in there. I used a 3 foot pipe and could not move them after heating them up. I am thinking about using a cut off wheel and then driving the bolts out with a hammer and drift. I will need to replace them anyway, but CI has new bolts for $9.95 a piece, what grade of bolt should I use, thinking about getting them locally as the Classic Ind seems a bit high. Anyone else have any option on how to get the bolts out other than they way above. Thanks, Jerod

·
Super Moderator
32,272 Posts
Grade 8, the bolthead will have six hash marks on the head.
Use the blue wrench and burn off the heads and the remaining threaded end.
Use crowbar and spread the socket alittle and use same crowbar to pry out the arm.
You're going to replace the bushing anyway by drilling out the rubber then collapsing the outer bushing and it will drop out.

Do one arm at a time for reference when assembling, unless you drew up a sketch or took pictures.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everett, again you hepled me out. I will torch the nut end and try and push it out thru the bolt head. The front one will be easy to torch both heads, but that back one the bolt head in inside of the engine cross member. I am like you said going to put in new bushings, going to use the Energy poly bushings, also have left the passenger side as I might need to look at it, but so far it has gone ok. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
287 Posts
sounds like you are having fun getting that front end off..!
I feel lucky..when I pulled mine off (68) it came off real easy !
Hardest problem was getting a wrench into the subframe to get a grip on the nuts.
As for replacements, get the proper bolts, you will be happier once it's all back together.
Are you keeping the front stock (brakes) ? Great time for a front disc kit !!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am getting new shocks, the car has a new disc brake coversion, new stock spindles, ball joints, but that is where they stopped. I am putting in everything, poly bushings, coil springs, and putting it back one side at a time. I cannot justify spending $45 for 4 new bolts. The car is not orginal anyway. Thanks, Jerod

·
Super Moderator
32,272 Posts
Get the hardware from a real bolt store, not the local hardware store.
Specialty stores carry/sell a better product than local hdwe stores.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts