Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be the worlds biggest looser but is there a trick or anything special to reinstall the lower control arm. I remover cleaned and had new Poly bushings installed and fought with the passenger side for 2 1/2 hours trying to get it to install and I just CANT:angry: :angry: :angry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
We'll be re-installing our '69's lower control arms this coming week hopefully if the new bolts come in. We also had the bushings replaced with poly's. I'll let you know what we find.
Could your bushings not be pressed in to the right depth?
If you want, I could measure ours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
hhmmmm did you leave the bolts loose. pry the spring in place and align it up so top of spring is showing in top hole. and jack up on lower control arm also put a chain in between spring so it pops out you will live. unless you got a good compressor for it safety first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,772 Posts
Is the issue with getting the LCA to fit into the subframe? If so, it could be that they were'nt braced when the bushings were pressed in, causing the LCA-to-subframe mounts to be squeezed together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes getting the lower in I am going to run QA1 so there is no spring. I just cant get the lower in
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Softail02, my passenger side was a real B* to get in also. The only difference between you and me is that I bought DSE arms. These 1st Gen cars don't have the close tolerances late models do making it a real pain to install the arms with new bushings.

My only advice is keep working it and you will either get it in or figure out the problem. Is there any chance your installing the wrong arm on the wrong side? (Just asking).

Whatever the case don't feel bad, I dropped my bolt inside the sub frame and it took me 2 hours and magnet to get it out. :yes:

Good luck,

Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rich

I finally got it in and YES it was the passenger side. I had about 8 hours into cleaning and painting the arms on Saturday and my mind was a little tires from the beers the night before. I struggled with it for 2 hours till I finally gave up, I couldn't sleep for the life of me. I got down there Sunday morning and got it in with the help of the Jack a 4x4 and a BIG old RUBBER mallet and took only about 20 min with a FRESH head. So I finished up that side and went in to watch the Rangers game because I didn't want to tackle the drivers side and deal with the BS. I think you gave me some hope when you said the Pass side was a pain so I am hopping the drivers side is a little more forgiven. I was so frustrated as I have done this job on 3 or 4 of my early 2nd gen cars I have owned and never had a problem I was MFing 1st Gen cars and yell at the car telling it that's why they redesigned it to the 2nd Gen ( It didn't talk back because my 70 would of kicked it's @$$ :sad: ) And I also dropped the bolt in the swing arm but got lucky it didn't roll down.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top