Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding the suspension on my 67 396 camaro and trying to decide if I want to replace or keep the original lower control arms. I was told by a reliable mechanic that the l. control arms I have now have lost their original geometry (worn out) making it difficult or impossible to correctly align the suspension. I have no reason to suspect that they have been damaged in any way. Can the l. control arms simply loose their shape over time? If I have to replace them, I plan on using original equipment.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I cant see lower control arms losing their shape due to what they are made of. Not sure why they lower control arms would have a issue with the alignment when the slims go in the upper.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes they can and if they are original then the chances they are 'out of whack' are pretty good.

The parts to rebuild the control arms aren't expensive and most mechanics will be able to press the bushes in for you with a hydraulic press . If the ball joints haven't been replaced then I'd recommend replacing them. You can grind or drill out the original rivets and bolt new ball joints in. Unless it's a show car I'd recommend using the supplied nuts and bolts to replace the rivets. You can now get rivets for the New/Old look but like I said, unless it's a show car I wouldn't bother.

Hope this helps MJ

·
Registered
280 Posts
I cant see lower control arms losing their shape due to what they are made of. Not sure why they lower control arms would have a issue with the alignment when the slims go in the upper.
Just to be clear. I'm talking about the ball joints and the bushes. Not the arms themselves. The arms will never budge unless you bend em. by hitting somthing hard in which case they are useless anyway.

MJ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts