Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I was in the process of swapping out the passenger front fender. I found the lower cowl panel (below the blower motor) was rotten. It was filled with dirt and debris. I ordered the complete housing. How hard is this to replace and what are the steps. Looks like there are a bunch of pinch welds around the edge. Is this true or is there more to it. THanks

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Im replacing mine as well, tried to use a spot weld drill sorta hard so I sawzawed most of the middle out to be able to get at the spot welds easier.. I sorta stopped so i can wait til my piece arrives so i know exactly what else needs taken out.

I did notice a pc of it goes between the firewall were the seam is dunno how far back it goes or if the new pc has this or not, since most places dont offer a very good view of there product.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the piece. I can take a couple good pictures of it. Can you send me pics of where your at right now? Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks familar. Goto my Project page I have posted a couple pictures of the rust and the new piece. This came from Ricks.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
whats funny is the whole unit is 95-100 Bucks, but just the outter skin is 75 - 80... ya since my structural metal was rotted through as well seems dumb not to just buy the whole pc, Im ordering mine tonite so I know it will be here before next week end.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
If you can avoid it, leave the hidden vin. If not possible, at least save the metal with the VIN stamped on it, for the future.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cowl panel is the front of the car where the parking lenses are. those pics are of the fire wall.
Wouldn't that be the valance panel or the grill? The cowl is the area under the widshield. The piece we are talking about is part of the cowl. http://www.rickscamaros.com/cgi-loc...tal.htm?L+scstore+flkz5793ffe1bfe1+1173700925 That is what I ordered.

Yeah, the pricing is wierd, especially when mine has rot in the front and rear as well as the sides. Only made sense to replace the whole thing, even though it looks like a PITA.

The new piece doesn't extend into the firewall like you were mentioning the original piece doing. It has an area that has been flanged and looks like you use some of the original sheetmetal along the edge to attach it. Basically do an overlap weld. I can take a better picture if it would help.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you can avoid it, leave the hidden vin. If not possible, at least save the metal with the VIN stamped on it, for the future.
Where exactly is that located?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Here inside the red

Also if you look to the direct " right " of the fan hole, you can see were our pc goes inside between the firewall pcs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here inside the red

Also if you look to the direct " right " of the fan hole, you can see were our pc goes inside between the firewall pcs.

OK, makes sense now. Thanks. Looks like I may be better off completely stripping the front end off and doing both sides at once, then painting the whole firewall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts