Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lower the rear of my 69 2 inches. Multi leaf springs have the car too high. Any suggestions on lowering blocks or another suggestion.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I bought 2" lowering rear leafs from Summit Racing. They actually lowered the car exactly 2 inches. They are only 4 leaf and I had to put a 1/4" spacer in them and used the bolt from my old 5 leaf springs so they were the same "thickness" in order to get them to tighten up and clamp correctly with the shock plate/spring perch. I want to say my old leafs measured 9-1/4" when I measured the arch and the Summit ones were 7-1/4".

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Probably lowest cost and easiest way to go lower. Might interfere with a rear sway bar if you have one.

Don

·
Registered
340 Posts
I hesitate to endorse 2" worth of lowering blocks. By creating a 2" lever between the axle and the spring, you have the potential for brake hop and axle wrap. The extent of either is based on the spring design, shock setting and tire grip (no way for me to say for sure).

Alternatively, I've run 1" blocks on a max effort road race 1st gen with no problems. One potential difference there is the leaf springs are highly biased to the forward half to resist deflection.

Play it safe and have the springs dearched for an 1-2" of ride height then fine tune it with blocks.

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
Make sure you have decent u-bolts or T bolts. If you are running the rubber insulators, you can remove, that would take a little off but you may want to try the 1" first. These are good blocks, I used several before I got the right height.
I ended up using some larger size u-bolts .

Decent fluid shocks will help keep wheel hop down. If you are one of those saturday nite racers, you may look into caltracs to keep wheel wrap down. I use Koni shocks and 4 leaf springs . I don't drop the hammer very much in public.

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=afco lowering blocks

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I would use cast iron blocks, not aluminum. I have 1-1/2" cast iron blocks on my car with Caltracs and my car has run 9.50 so far.

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
I would use cast iron blocks, not aluminum. I have 1-1/2" cast iron blocks on my car with Caltracs and my car has run 9.50 so far.
Would guess so, 9.50! Not gonna question cast iron blocks,

·
13,829 Posts
Take one of the leafs off your 5 leaf springs

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I just installed Hotchkis 1.5 inch lowering leafs. I'm very happy with the height. I have read so many complaints about how they didn't lower the car. They Lowered my car 1.5 inches, just like as described.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the 1.5 blocks with new hardware. I took off the Vette wheels and installed the Foose Knuckle 17x8 with BFG Sport 235/45 and 255/45 as John had suggested. Thanks for all your input. The wheels look great and not to big or wide or rubber band look. The chrome really sets off the black on white BB RSSS. I don't hot rod the car. . . .I save that for my Vette and 69 SS Chevelle. Just an old guy talkin!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts