Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...I own a 2000 camaro SS and It started knocking today. Along with this knock comes white smoke out the exhaust.The oil is plenty full and plenty new, I have no idea why this happened.I was wondering if anyone else out there had this problem with the LS-1 before and how much its gonna be to fix. Any help is appreciated

Chris

·
Registered
210 Posts
stage, welcome! i see you're from gainesville. i try to make it up there every saturday to the dragstrip. anyway, i dont want to be the bearer of bad news, but from what i can remember about smoke colors and conditions, white usually means piston rings. are you sure it did'nt have a blue tint to it? what kind of knocking was it? was it a tick-tick-tick or the like the sound of rod hitting the cylinder wall? anyways, a new set of rings for a ls1 dont cost much to do yourself, but if you take it to the shop, it can be some serious $$$.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey man..thanks for the reply.It is def. white smoke, and the knock sounds to me like a rod knock(like something is bouncing around inside the engine).The sound is more noticeable on the right side of the motor.I just dont' understand why it would do this, i take such good care of the car, especially changing the oil.Have you ever heard of anyone with the same knocking with a LS-1.I have always heard that this motor is virtually indestructable. But i guess there is exceptions to everything.Thanks for the help.
Chris

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
White smoke sounds like water in the cylinder. Check your head gaskets. Does the smoke have a sweet odor?

------------------
Bob
Garnet Red 69/SS396/TH400/355 Posi ( 454 now)
94 HD Dyna Wideglide

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
does it still have a warranty on it? if so, get the thing replaced.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took my car to the dealer this morning, GOOD NEWS, they are telling me that something broke off inside the Cat-converter and thats what i was hearing.But what i don't understand is the white smoke??!The dealer is supposed to let me know more soon....Cat's should be under warranty with 47K ? right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts