Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read that this isn’t for the faint of heart.....

Fresh never-fired LS build. I pulled the plug on the drivers side of the block and primed the pump and galley like instructed in the melling video on YouTube. Cranked for 30 seconds and no pressure on the gauge. Pulled the passenger side valve cover and no oil on the rockers. Dropped the front of the car off the stands (butt way up in the air) cranked for 30 seconds. No oil pressure but sound of cranking changed so thought I had it. No oil on rockers. Pulled galley plug again and there’s all kinds of oil behind it so quickly threaded back in. Got a helper to crank - cranked for 30 seconds while I watched and all rockers are cycling up and down. Lifters have to be pressured up to do that right? Rockers on base circle do not have any lash further convincing me the lifters have been oil primed. Cranked for 1 minute and still no pressure on gauge or out pushrod holes on the rockers. I’m out of nerve.

From my checks I’m convinced there’s oil in the galleys and pressure in the lifters, don’t understand why I’m not seeing it reach the rockers or on the gauge. Thoughts? I wish you could prime these like a SBC.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro Convertible 250 to a LS3 Engine Swap
502 Posts
Your braver than me. With what I’ve invested it was difficult to risk cranking it over dry, and although it’s something I may only use once I bought a $135 pressurized priming tank.

·
14,267 Posts
I’ve done a whole bunch of LS swap GMPP crates.

Crank for about 30 second. Stop. Repeat. Power up and fire the motors. Instant pressure on the gauge.

IMHO this paranoia over priming is overrated.

GM has fired 100s of thousands of LS engine without all the priming routines.

Reactions: DT

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
GM has fired 100s of thousands of LS engine without all the priming routines.
I was just thinking that same thing! Thanks John. I’ve built a bunch of SBC’s so definitely a rookie learning curve in this one. I think I’m convinced for the following reasons:

What I have checked above, plus I loosened the oil filter and there’s oil under pressure there as well. I’m reading that the electronic ecu’s don’t send oil pressure signal to my electronic gauge while cranking. I’m also reading about a whole bunch of guys on LStech who can’t get enough rpm while cranking to get oil all the way to the top of the engine and have instant pressure when they fire it up. It’s also 37 degrees here (heat wave) so that isn’t helping the viscosity any.

I think it’s time to fire this bad boy up.

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,651 Posts
It's been an hour......Did you fire it yet? lol.....

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I’m with John. My crate install sounds like yours so far. I decided to light it when I wasn’t getting anything with plugs out And spinning it over. I figured it was under warranty. It fired and I had instant pressure. I wasted almost a day screwing around with it.

·
14,267 Posts
^^^^^
I’ve done LS7s, LS2s, LS3s, LQ9s. All the same start up.

They are all running perfect to this day.

Build SBCs and BBCs. We never primed. Assembly lubed well. Fire up and check OP in the 1st few secs. If no OP shut down and figure it out.

Been doing it this way for over 50 years. So either it works or I’m lucky beyond belief.

Just sayin.

Millions of cars built every year. They run down the assembly line a couple gallons of fuel pumped in they hit the switch and drive it off the line.

Same with the exotics. Everything from Lambos to McClarens. None that I know of prime the oil system to preassure before firing engines 1st time.

Reactions: 350sshugger

·
Premium Member
Brett - Leander, Texas 1969 SS396
1,651 Posts
:grin2: Unfortunately no. I’ve still got odds and ends to run down like a vacuum hose for the MAP sensor and finish the fuel line. Hopefully next weekend.
Just excited for you. Good Luck!

Brett......

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I was paranoid as well in the beginning. Cranked it and cranked it, observed zero oil pressure on gauge. Now what ??? My problem turned out to be my oil gauge sending unit not grounded to the block. Added a ground wire, Everything was just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was paranoid as well in the beginning. Cranked it and cranked it, observed zero oil pressure on gauge. Now what ??? My problem turned out to be my oil gauge sending unit not grounded to the block. Added a ground wire, Everything was just fine.
Hey Donny. I think it was in your thread where I read about the butt in the air trick. I’m good, last time it cranked I had 30 lbs. This really was a learning experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts