Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a radiator for my car. It was made by C and R racing and its model number is 15-11010. They advertise that it is for a first generation Camaro/Firebird that has an LS engine.

This is my problem. The hose inlet and outlet are not on the same side. :surprise: I guess that I could run the top hose from the driver side over to the passenger side. I am afraid that I could run into some interference problems and it would look cobbled together.

Has anyone on this website run into this problem? How hard was it to fabricate something that would fit? The radiator does not have a shroud so the top hose could fit low. The second photo shows a piece of pipe insulation where the hose could be routed. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:smile2:

·
14,272 Posts
LS Rad should have both hose connections on Pass side for a 1st Gen. Also port for steam line should be there

Reactions: DT

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
If you are running an LS3 crate the water pump outlet is such that it really doesn't make a lot of difference which side it is on. C&R made a custom radiator for me with transmission, steering and oil coolers in it and the connections are the same as yours. I am not worried about it.

Don

·
14,272 Posts
Yes it will work. You'll need to take the hose routing into consideration when you do your cold air intake

·
19,900 Posts
Although not the prettiest idea.....it works just fine for me. I tried to keep it as easy as I could with off the shelf parts incase there were ever to be an issue on the road ;)

breather.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They say it will cool OK without a shroud?
They say it will cool up to 1000 hp. They have another model that has two fans with a shroud. The shrouded model is rated at 800 hp. The 800 hp model has both the inlet and outlet on the passenger side and is a two pass radiator.

The 1000 hp is a single pass radiator. The steam port is on the driver side. I liked the fact the aluminum was extruded, maybe it would last longer than a standard radiator. The 1000 hp model was on sale during black Friday.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Personally, I would return it for the correct radiator. You will have construded angles and bends if you are using a CAI that will feed from the drivers side.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Without knowledge of what water pump the OP is using it is difficult to gauge the magnitude of this potential issue. Corvette LS3 water pump for example would be likely better than the truck water pump shown above...

I have an LSA and a similar radiator from C&R and I am confident it will work fine. The devil is in the details of the application.... These radiators are highly efficient racing radiators with extruded cores and are worth a little head scratching to implement.

Don

·
14,272 Posts
C&R radiators are the best bar none. They build for NASCAR. Not cheap. The one is used in my LS7 car sells for $1800. I got a deal and took the display home at SEMA.

As stated the devil is in the details. CAI. Hose runs etc

·
14,272 Posts
I got a superior radiator off of Ebay. $540 + shipping. I am happy with it. Fans work great and seems to cool really well in the limited time I have used it.

^^^^

I've used this radiator in at least 10 cars both LS and SBC with AC even with blowers. Here in the crazy hot desert they always keep cool, look great and never had a problem with a single one.

Reactions: Sheck44 and zboss86

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Hey Greg quick question, where does the steam hoses from radiator connect to on the engine ??? Thank you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is a steam port from both of the heads on the front of the motor. You should have a factory tube. There are also aftermarket kits as well.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey Greg quick question, where does the steam hoses from radiator connect to on the engine ??? Thank you.

Sorry for the slow response but the steam hose connects by the water neck for the upper radiator hose. There is a tube that comes on the crate engines that connects both ports on the front of the head together. You can see it right above the neck in the picture below.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts