Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a bulkhead connector for their pos battery cable going through the firewall ?? I was also considering just a grommet and run the cable to the starter. I'm not sure I like the idea of a live connection at the firewall, even if its only live during cranking. I hope the protective caps on the bulkhead connector would prevent any accidental contact.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Anyone use a bulkhead connector for their pos battery cable going through the firewall ?? I was also considering just a grommet and run the cable to the starter. I'm not sure I like the idea of a live connection at the firewall, even if its only live during cranking. I hope the protective caps on the bulkhead connector would prevent any accidental contact.
I use these:

Through Terminal Junction Firewall Battery 3/8 Stud Bulkhead | eBay

Not sure what is going on with that link. LOL...

Don

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
Hey Donnie,
I am at that point too and have been trolling a lot trying to decide that. I am going to use a bulkhead connector. I think I am going to put it in the horizontal flat formed section of the passenger floor. What i am thinking over now is what bulkhead to use, i dont know that i like the one handled by summit but it will fit on that small flat. I am also thinking about a solid pass through connection for the negative cable. I intend to run negative to the block and am pondering the pros and cons of interrupting that cable. More bad chit happens when the system hunts for a decent ground than a decent hot.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Don, no protective caps to prevent accidental contact ?? Steve, If your battery is in the trunk the ground should be as short as possible.

·
14,272 Posts
I run the posi cable underneath the car tight up to the frame rail and not through the passenger compartment. As mentioned it's only hot while cranking.

When i was planned and trying different routing I felt that running it through the wire chase then behind the kick and eventually through the firewall wasn't worth the effort.

I fixed your link. Lol

Reactions: DT

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Only hot while cranking" are you running the solenoid in the boot? If not that positive cable is ALWAYS hot.

---Nitrous Fed 468ci Big Block and m21 69 SS Camaro---
---163kg/140rwhp K3 GSXR 1000---
---TD42 GU patrol ute 6inch lift blah blah blah---
---Stock as a rock 91 F77 Daihatsu Rocky Ute---

·
14,272 Posts
"Only hot while cranking" are you running the solenoid in the boot? If not that positive cable is ALWAYS hot.

Yes for purpose of this query we are running the F solenoid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Still makes no sense to me. Main battery cable to starter will always be hot(Live)

·
14,272 Posts
Still makes no sense to me. Main battery cable to starter will always be hot(Live)

Battery in trunk. 12V bat cable to solenoid. Cable from solenoid to starter. 12v from ignition switch (start position) to solenoid trigger. separate fused wire from bat side of solenoid to fuse box power for the car.

The 12V cable from the solenoid to the starter is only hot while cranking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I understand that. But the solenoid is on the starter is it not? So the cable from the battery in the trunk that goes to the solenoid on the starter motor is live all the time and as you say the short cable from aolenoid to starter is only live while cranking. Or am i missing something.

·
14,272 Posts
I understand that. But the solenoid is on the starter is it not? So the cable from the battery in the trunk that goes to the solenoid on the starter motor is live all the time. Or am i missing something.

We install an additional Ford style solenoid in the trunk.

ford-starter-solenoid-wiring-diagram-s-f16ca469b52d45f0.jpg

Reactions: DT and enroh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cool. I gotcha now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cant say ive ever done that. Every car i have owned ive run the main csble to starter from trunk live all the time along frame rails etc. Never had an issue with shorting or damage. Ive Always run double insulated cable though.

·
14,272 Posts
Cant say ive ever done that. Every car i have owned ive run the main csble to starter from trunk live all the time along frame rails etc. Never had an issue with shorting or damage. Ive Always run double insulated cable though.

1000s of guys run the hot all the time cable with no issues.

Some just want the peace of mind by not having it hot all the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1000s of guys run the hot all the time cable with no issues.

Some just want the peace of mind by not having it hot all the time.
Yeah this is true. Its definetely something ill think about doing in future builds. Adds an extra level of protection.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

It only takes one time. I would never install a positive cable in the interior without a F solenoid. Just my preference.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
I have less issue with the bulkhead on the hot than i do on the ground. I am not a believer in carrying the starter ground from the trunk through the chassis on a more or less stock bodied street car. If the bulkhead rattles loose on the hot you may get a warmed up connector or a fail. What you dont get is your current finding path B. I was reading an old post over on lateral g where a guy was wrestling with this and it got me thinking about the bulkhead on the neutral. Regardless i will be running a 1/0 ground between the engine and the chassis along with a cable back to the trunk.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have less issue with the bulkhead on the hot than i do on the ground. I am not a believer in carrying the starter ground from the trunk through the chassis on a more or less stock bodied street car. If the bulkhead rattles loose on the hot you may get a warmed up connector or a fail. What you dont get is your current finding path B. I was reading an old post over on lateral g where a guy was wrestling with this and it got me thinking about the bulkhead on the neutral. Regardless i will be running a 1/0 ground between the engine and the chassis along with a cable back to the trunk.
Very good. My ground in the trunk from battery will only be approximately 12 inches long to vehicle chassis. I will also have additional grounds from engine to body.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts