Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing the ls swap in my 68 right now and have the iroc steering box with hooker 1 1/4'' forward plates installed, trans is the t56 from looking at it my fitment for headers (preferrably long tubes) is slim and none. Just wondering if anyone else is running this or has any possible info on the subject. thanks guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Idk about the iroc steering box. But we have used hooker super comp swap headers on a couple LS first gens and love them. Just give hooker a call and ask them.

·
19,900 Posts
So, by the 1.25" "forward" plates....you mean back up to the firewall keeping the trans in the stock location ?
I have the stock manual box in mine and the DynoTech 1 7/8" coated headers...tight going in.

·
14,272 Posts
Idk about the iroc steering box. But we have used hooker super comp swap headers on a couple LS first gens and love them. Just give hooker a call and ask them.
I also have Hooker Supercomps on 2 69 LS swap. One with a R&P setup and one with the stock box. No clearance issues.:beers:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I spoke to Hooker about this very topic. They said to use the stock location mount plates with their headers with my combination, running a 4l65e. I would probably run the stock plates and modify the trans cross member to fit the T56 if it does not line up. Easier to modify the trans mount than change out steering boxes...

But on that note : with stock location plates and a small block heater core, you will probably need to swap out for a big block heater box/core because the heater outlet will hit the back of the valve cover.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys for the help I broke down and just bought the hooker ls manifolds they just came out with so I dont have any hassle only problem is 2.25 outlet (BOOOOOO!) will let you know how it goes from there thanks again. It just seems the the move forward its too far forward since i now have 1 1/2" from back of pass head to firewall. Makes is great for hiding the harness and all but the exhaust has been the only hang up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Let me know how those Hooker LS manifolds work out.....I have looked at them and actually think I like them better than the headers.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
For those curious to know, we've been working on the development of new 1st-gen engine swap mounts, transmission crossmembers, headers (mid-lengths and long-tubes) and full 2.5" and 3" exhaust systems for quite some time and will be releasing them just before the SEMA show this year in November. Existing components for this swap(everyone's) require the user to address common issues themselves andto make compromises that we've fully taken care of in the design of the new compoents. If you've seen the parts we've recently released for 2nd-gen F-bodies, then that will give you a good idea as to the design/engineering quality level and the comprehensive depth of the application coverage.

We researched the standing issues that people were having when using the currently available headers on the market (including ours) and pretty much addressed them all to provide a complete "drop-in" solution for all your LS swap mounting and exhaust needs. I'll be putting up a follow-up post before I go home tonight that will provide a few teaser photos and will be coming back here in the next few weeks to start posting up more specific photos and info for all interested swappers.

Regards,

Todd

Hooker Design Engineer

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here's the teaser images I promised that show our new 2nd-gen components (stainless long tubes and T56 crossmember in this case) on a subframe display being assembled for the LS Fest coming up this weekend. You can also make out the stamped X crossover in the exhaust systems soon to be released for them as well. For anyone attending the event, please stop by and take a look at all our LS components at the Holley truck.

Todd

·
19,900 Posts
Todd....looks great.
How about the firewall to engine clearances ? With the mounts I used to keep the trans in the stock location I only have enough room to get my finger tips in there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Todd....looks great.
How about the firewall to engine clearances ? With the mounts I used to keep the trans in the stock location I only have enough room to get my finger tips in there.
You as well as others have discovered first hand that their are many trade-offs with keeping the trans in the stock location, the first being the unnatural appearing tight clearance between the engine and firewall. I'll provide some images of the firewall clearance when I get in to work this morning.

We deviated from typical practice and moved the engine slightly (not 3 to 4 inches like some kits out there) forward to provide better clearances of all the involved components, i.e. heater core nipples, trans dipstick, trans case to tunnel etc. The positioning also allows a correct bolt-in 3 degree engine inclination angle to be obtained when using our mounts with one of the trans crossmembers we've developed...without cutting the tunnel sheet metal.

One of the best features of the mounts in my opinion is that they get rid of all installation issues incurred with the factory frame stands in these cars; our mounts retrofit all cars to use 72-up GM clamshells through the use of adapter plates on the subframe, which require no drilling to install. So now you don't have to hassle with finding a different set of frame stands than what your car came with to achieve properly installation of the components.

This change to the mounts also frees up more room for improved header bend geometry, which of course we took full advantage of. The new Hooker headers finally resolve the steering box clearance issue without having to raise the motor height up (bad for U-joint angles), or run the #2 tube over the top of the header and drop it down between the two rearmost tubes (bad for plug wire and steering hose clearance) as I noticed in another design.

Things are getting better indeed for you 1st-gen swappers.

Todd

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have not purchased my mount plates or headers yet....purchased a Holley Pan.

I am in no rush....so I guess I will wait until the new stuff comes out.

One concern I see from just about everyone and not mentioned is Price......the Hooker long tube headers for this swap are just expensive. That is one of the reasons I am currently leaning towards the Hooker Swap Manifolds instead of headers.

Hopefully price is one of the factors considered in the new items....

Just my "two cents" worth.....pun intended.

·
Registered
124 Posts

One concern I see from just about everyone and not mentioned is Price......the Hooker long tube headers for this swap are just expensive. That is one of the reasons I am currently leaning towards the Hooker Swap Manifolds instead of headers.

As with our 2nd-gen applications, a multitude of header options will be available to suit a broad range of budgets. At the entry level you will be able to purchase painted mild steel mid-lengths or long-tubes and step up to ceramic coated versions as a mid-step in price. If you have migrated to the hi-tech stainless camp with your header preference, you can get the long-tubes in full stainless steel with all their our proprietary components (investment cast port flanges and collector spears and one-piece formed merge collectors). In keeping with the specs of our 2nd-gen headers, all the headers for the 1st-gens will feature flat flange TIG welded ports as we are going away from the raised bead port weld in select applications such as these.

Todd

·
Registered
124 Posts
For those interested, this image depicts the engine-to-firewall clearance that all the new Hooker 1st-gen Camaro LS swap mount components, headers and exhaust systems are based around. This positioning provides installation compatibility with the following OE components without collision issues:

Stock A/C evaporator housing (even with the stock coil brackets)
Stock small block heater core
4L60-4L75 trans dipstick tube
4L60-4L75 trans case with the trans tunnel sheet metal

·
Registered
124 Posts

Jblakes, I forgot to mention to you that the Holley pan you've purchased will not be compatible with our new 1st-gen parts unless you are willing to notch your engine crossmember as it is too tall in the front to allow the engine to sit low enough to acheive preferred engine inclination angles and U-joint working angles. We've developed a bolt-on solution to aleviate the need to have to notch the crossmember to install these new parts but I can't spill the beans on what that is just yet...the launch of that new part is comming at SEMA as well. You will also have the option of running a notched stock F-body pan, which is commonly used in this swap. application.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts