Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up Camaro Heads lol! I'm going with an LS 6.0 / 4l80e on my 69' wondering if anyone has some input. As of things to look out for and what not to do.

·
15,491 Posts
Check for lot of info on the LSx Swap Forum

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
656 Posts
Holley makes some pretty complete kits for swapping an LS into a first gen.

Reactions: dhutton

·
Registered
560 Posts
Holley for the mounts, oil pan and ECU. Then use Rick's Restomod fuel tank, 5th gen Camaro SS or ZL1 fuel pump assembly, and a Vaporworx PWM fuel pump controller. Depending on your gauges, you can use a BIM that will read Holley EFI CAN signal and feed them to Dakota Digital gauges.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
4,602 Posts
Holley for the mounts, oil pan and ECU. Then use Rick's Restomod fuel tank, 5th gen Camaro SS or ZL1 fuel pump assembly, and a Vaporworx PWM fuel pump controller. Depending on your gauges, you can use a BIM that will read Holley EFI CAN signal and feed them to Dakota Digital gauges.
Why would you use a Holley ECU, when the factory ECUs are plentiful, the largest installed base with lots of good tuners throughout the country?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Nothing wrong with the stock ECU's. I have had my HP tuners over 10 years and have tuned many over the years. However, I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly), that if someone is asking an open ended question like this, they will be essentially starting from scratch. If someone is starting from scratch no question I would recommend a Terminator X Max ECU. Brand new harness, easy to use software, and much more adaptable than a stock ECU.

Even if you get an ECU and harness with your engine, you still need to modify it all to run. It takes a good amount of time to modify a harness, especially if it is your first time. If you don't have the time and pay someone to modify it you'll spend around $500 to modify for stand alone. Then who is going to tune the ECU? You'll pay a minimum of $99 for a re-flash just to delete the anti-theft and a few other basics if you have your own program. Cost goes up if you have to pay someone else. Then if you modify it too far past simple bolt on's, you will be paying out for a full on tune. In my area it's right around $500 for a full on tune.

Alternatively the X Max ECU's are right around $1400, which is a lot up front, but can be installed and setup by an average guy with some help from forums like this. Holley has tons of stock tunes to start with. You can pick one that's close to what your setup is and you can have it running and driving in a weekend. Self learning fuel tables are a huge win, but there are some tweaks that need to be made for the idle, cold start and off idle driving characteristics.

I've had my Terminator X now for 2 years after switching over from an 0411 ECU. Unless the vehicle has some OBD2 requirements, I would suggest going with a Holley ECU hands down.

·
15,491 Posts
You can get Harness, ECU, Pedal sensors, fuse box and relays etc. form PSI and other companies.

A modified OEM is a PIA.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,348 Posts
I am certainly not an authority on this but I bought my setup from Turnkey engines and it came with the factory ECU, custom harness, motor mounts, headers, o2 sensors, corvette serpentine, pedal and oil pan all based on my car model. It may not be for everyone and I certainly made it much harder than it needed to be but all in all it was well thought out.

·
20,510 Posts
A "kit" like Holley all works together (for a little higher price), but you can do it cheaper searching for everything you need which "may or may not" all work together.

Reactions: bth
1 - 9 of 9 Posts