Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into going LS in my ever-evolving 69. I would do the install myself but would prefer to purchase some kind of package ready to run than to build something myself. I see GMPP offers a Hot LS3 480HP with sensors, pedal, wiring harness and computer for about 11k. Still gonna need serpentine setup and accessories. Saw someone on here mention Texas Speed and got to looking at thier stuff. They offer an all new LS3 540 HP (built by them) with custom tuning, complete computer/wiring/sensor setup, accessory drive with the pumps and pulleys, and coil pack relocation kit. Anybody familier with these guys and/or this setup. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck. I like the idea of getting the coils off the valve covers but where would/could you put them?

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4306-tsp-376-cid-540-hp-ls3-turn-key-package.aspx

·
20,023 Posts
They are a sponsor over on LS1Tech....seem OK. Take a look, ask around ?

·
Registered
647 Posts
read my thread that is 1 below this one. I have the hot ls3 and would never go back. plenty of HP put in by a reliable shop....

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Your total is little off. Jegs had the LS3 480hp GMPP crate for just under $6600 to the door and the matching GMPP computer, sensors, harness, etc for just under $1100. You need a few more parts but you should be able to do everything for around $10 depending on the transmission you use.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Your total is little off. Jegs had the LS3 480hp GMPP crate for just under $6600 to the door and the matching GMPP computer, sensors, harness, etc for just under $1100. You need a few more parts but you should be able to do everything for around $10 depending on the transmission you use.
That sounds more like it, but what I'm seeing at Jegs costs 10K. Am I missing something?

http://http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevro...e-LS3-62L-376ci-480HP-Engine/1127485/10002/-1

As for the trans, I'm thinking a T-56 conversion from Hurst for another 5K. That's 15K without the tank w/ in-tank fuel pump, alum. radiator w/elec fans, console conversion, pedals, etc,etc..

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
That sounds more like it, but what I'm seeing at Jegs costs 10K. Am I missing something?

http://http://www.jegs.com/p/Chevro...e-LS3-62L-376ci-480HP-Engine/1127485/10002/-1

As for the trans, I'm thinking a T-56 conversion from Hurst for another 5K. That's 15K without the tank w/ in-tank fuel pump, alum. radiator w/elec fans, console conversion, pedals, etc,etc..
I think he meant $10k, not $10...

Texas Speed has a good reputation. They have solid customer service over there, I haven't heard many complaints.

You could pick up a freshly rebuilt/upgraded T56 for around $3k, or buy a used one for under $2k.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think he meant $10k, not $10...

Texas Speed has a good reputation. They have solid customer service over there, I haven't heard many complaints.

You could pick up a freshly rebuilt/upgraded T56 for around $3k, or buy a used one for under $2k.
Brent, thanks for chiming in. I sure have enjoyed following your build thread, you have done some excellent work.

I know he meant 10K, I was referring to his figures of 6600 and 1100 for a gmpp ls3 package. I see a complete package from Jegs for 10k, I wondered what I was missing.

Did you take a look at the link to TSPs LS3 540 I included in the original post? I sure would like to get your take on it.

Who has the freshly rebuilt/ upgraded T56 for 3k you mentioned?

Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
14,516 Posts
Check my thread on the LS3 hot motor swap

I'm keeping an accounting of everything

We are using the TKO 5 speed that was in it.

With fuel system, cooling system, headers, hydraulic clutch and all the other misc. items It's looking like just north of $12K and I'm a careful and very good shopper.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

With fuel system, cooling system, headers, hydraulic clutch and all the other misc. items It's looking like just north of $12K and I'm a careful and very good shopper.
Thanks Vegas, I've been following it closely along with several others. The only thing I don't like about the LS is the way it looks. I'm willing to learn to like it because of all the performance benefits. If you get a chance take a look at the TSP LS3 540 package. Comes complete, accessory drive package, custom tuned ECM, coil pack relocation kit, etc. They build it with all new GM stuff and warrenty it for 1 year. Heres the link:

http://http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4306-tsp-376-cid-540-hp-ls3-turn-key-package.aspx

for some reason there is no pic of the 540 version, here is a pic of the same thing different hp:

http://http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3581-tsp-376-cid-570-hp-ls3-turn-key-package.aspx

Sure like the way that thing looks and the performance specs are awesome, might be worth a couple extra bucks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
14,516 Posts
Thanks Vegas, I've been following it closely along with several others. The only thing I don't like about the LS is the way it looks. I'm willing to learn to like it because of all the performance benefits. If you get a chance take a look at the TSP LS3 540 package. Comes complete, accessory drive package, custom tuned ECM, coil pack relocation kit, etc. They build it with all new GM stuff and warrenty it for 1 year. Heres the link:

All depends on how much power you want and to me more important is how you intend to use the car.

The best bang for the buck is the GM Performance LS3/480. This is rated with stock exhaust manifold so with a good set of headers it should be around 500.

The TSP LS3 540 is $11k and the 570 $12.5k

For how you intend to use the car is the extra 50 or so hp worth the money?

The C6 drive with AC will not work on a 1st Gen unless you modify the subframe. Best way is to buy the drive without AC then use a relocate bracket fir the AC compressor.

You can build a 600 HP LS motor for substantially less then the advertised crate motors. Just depends on what you're looking for, your budget and how much of the work you can do yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Brent, thanks for chiming in. I sure have enjoyed following your build thread, you have done some excellent work.

I know he meant 10K, I was referring to his figures of 6600 and 1100 for a gmpp ls3 package. I see a complete package from Jegs for 10k, I wondered what I was missing.

Did you take a look at the link to TSPs LS3 540 I included in the original post? I sure would like to get your take on it.

Who has the freshly rebuilt/ upgraded T56 for 3k you mentioned?

Thanks
Thanks. I think the $10k Jegs estimate was engine, accessories and transmission for that $6600 engine. I haven't looked too deeply into all their different packages. Some of the others here have looked into/gone down that route so they would know better.

Yes, that 540hp LS3 looks like a nice complete package. It just depends on how much power you need and how you want to make it. I probably make close to 540hp at the crank and did it with a junkyard 6.0, ported 243 heads, cam, edelbrock intake. Way less than the crate stuff, but no warranty and I pieced it all together myself. If it breaks, I have to fix it myself too.

Check in with dondb, he just ordered a rebuilt & upgraded T56 from somewhere down south, he has an engine thread here in the PT section. They built it the way he wanted. If you can find a used T56 cheap, send it off to Tick Performance, they do great work and have 3 or 4 different levels performance T56's.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I picked up this 2005 GTO T56 upgraded to a level 2 by a person in Texas for $2,300. He was fantastic to work with and has loads of experience with rebuilding T56 trannies. If you are looking and interested PM me and i'll get you his info.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
read my thread that is 1 below this one. I have the hot ls3 and would never go back. plenty of HP put in by a reliable shop....

Thanks, I've seen your thread and your car looks great. Glad to hear you are happy with the results of your LS conversion. Thats pretty much the type of setup I want but I'll want to do the install myself. Why let someone else have all the fun! Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks for that, I'll definitely be watching your progress. Your efforts are greatly appreciated by those of us lurking, hoping to do a conversion in the future. I'm going to need to convert from my 700r4 as well, probably to a T56 so I'll have to shop carefully as well.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. I think the $10k Jegs estimate was engine, accessories and transmission for that $6600 engine. I haven't looked too deeply into all their different packages. Some of the others here have looked into/gone down that route so they would know better.

Yes, that 540hp LS3 looks like a nice complete package. It just depends on how much power you need and how you want to make it. I probably make close to 540hp at the crank and did it with a junkyard 6.0, ported 243 heads, cam, edelbrock intake. Way less than the crate stuff, but no warranty and I pieced it all together myself. If it breaks, I have to fix it myself too.

Check in with dondb, he just ordered a rebuilt & upgraded T56 from somewhere down south, he has an engine thread here in the PT section. They built it the way he wanted. If you can find a used T56 cheap, send it off to Tick Performance, they do great work and have 3 or 4 different levels performance T56's.
Thanks, I think the 10k price on Jegs website must be a mistake and if the trans is included its not shown.

TSPs 540 package is nice but probably more than I need, definitely more than I need to spend. I think its great what you did with your engine but thats way more work than I want to do. I figure converting to the LS from my 350 and converting to a T56 from my 700R4 and all the stuff that stuff that will go along with it will be enough work for me.

What do you think about relocating the coil packs? Have you heard of or seen anybody do that? I sure like the look a lot better without them on the valve covers.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
those engine packages from jegs do not include transmission.
im looking to get an ls3 but jegs usually has a deal during the year when they drop the price of the engine only to $6189 with no shipping fees.
it is cheaper to buy that and have a cam grinded to your cars specs ie. tranny type, rear gears etc to get even more horsepower than the hot cammed version

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks, here is the link to that engine with controller and oil pan for 10K. Would I not need the package?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19301358K/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Where did you get your trans?
There is something going on with prices. The link you posted means the oil pan is almost $2000!

I pulled the trigger over Xmas because prices were going up. Summit one day increased the price of just the engine to around $8500. I called and they didn't know what I was talking about but the sales rep said he see's where they sold one the week before @ the $6600 price. Your not missing anything, I think a big price increase is coming.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts