Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i have read on here quite often that the hooker swap mounts put the engine close to the firewall but GEEZ! I finally got it installed and im not too thrilled about how CLOSE it puts the engine to it, I mean were talking about fingernail thickness close (pass side). So i get researching and find that hooker now makes mounts with different increments moving the engine forward. I am wondering if anyone has used these different mounts and if so has any pics before I have to purchase different ones. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Re: ls1 hooker mounts issue

I bought the Hooker "stock location" mounts and knew there was an issue before I even installed the engine. I measured from the mount to the back of the block and found that the bellhousing would be kissing the firewall, so I went with the "1 1/4 setback mounts instead and now have plenty of room. My BMR crossmember also wouldn't have worked with the stock location mounts, since its pretty much all the way back even with these mounts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: ls1 hooker mounts issue

Those are the ones I am looking at now, I have the t56 hurst conversion tranny xmember so i think it will be fine with the other mounts just stinks to have to buy another set of mounts you know?!? thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm currently fitting an ls1 into my 69 Camaro. The car came with Trans Dapt plates and I felt the engine was sitting too far forward. Hooker long tube headers were way too close to the steering gear box.

I had a guy locally make a set that moved the engine back closer to the firewall. Now the headers clear perfectly, but the bell housing seems to be hitting the floor. (4L60 trans)

I'm taking a break for the weekend because I'm frustrated. What are you guys that set the engine really close to the firewall doing? Cutting the tunnel so the trans fits?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts