Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can you tell if a 2002 SS has the LS6 block that some cars got that year ?

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
You need to get the part number of the block and look. Others will tell you that they have color differences since they were built in two different facilities. Just so you know, the only difference in the ls6 block and the ls1 block is better breathing. Not a big deal if its a ls1 or 6 in my opinion.

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
That, now, I am not sure. I believe it is on the back but a quick search on ls1tech would probably give you the answer.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
IIRC they all got the ls1, except they put the ls6 intake on the 01' and above
That's kind of what I was thinking. The blocks were all the same, but some later 02's got the LS6 intake....and heads?

·
Registered
367 Posts
That's kind of what I was thinking. The blocks were all the same, but some later 02's got the LS6 intake....and heads?
Some '02s got the LS6 block (slightly stronger) but the rest of the engine was all standard LS1 (except for the intake).
'01s and '02s got the LS6 intake, IIRC

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Post a picture of the right side of the block, it's not hard to tell what it is. The LS6 intakes wound up on most '01s and all '02s. LS6 heads did not wind up on any standard LS1s, but LS2 heads are LS6 units without the sodium filled valves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts