Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its time to start thinking about which motor, and the LS3/480 or 525 are my choices (personal choices). Id like to hear from anyone running either. My main concern is if I go with the 525HP, how much do lose at the bottom end with the bigger cam. Is it going to be real finicky in stop and go traffic? The car will be driven as much as possible, and Im thinking more about other family members driving it. 3:55 gears and a Tremec 600 complete the drivetrain.

·
14,267 Posts
I've done both the 480 with a TKO 5 Speed with 3.55s (it's a great driving car with more then enough power) and a 525 with a T56 - Bottom end with 3.70 gear will spin 335 tires well into 3rd gear and not at all finicky in traffic. Use the Corvette LS7 Clutch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done both the 480 with a TKO 5 Speed with 3.55s (it's a great driving car with more then enough power) and a 525 with a T56 - Bottom end with 3.70 gear will spin 335 tires well into 3rd gear and not at all finicky in traffic. Use the Corvette LS7 Clutch
Thanks for the info John.... Seeing you have done both.... did you prefer one over the other?

·
14,267 Posts
Thanks for the info John.... Seeing you have done both.... did you prefer one over the other?
525 If you do the 480 you'll always be second guessing.

I've also done built 620 HP LS7. I like the 525 better

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'd go with the 525 as well. I'm not sure on the gear ratios in the tko, but I'd use more gear than a 3.55. With a 6 speed (wide ratio), I like 4.10s all the way. Going from 3.73 to 4.10 in a 6 speed was night & day difference- it just keeps the motor in the sweet spot in every gear. Not something you'd have to do right sway. Just something to keep in mind. I'm a bit OCD about maximizing efficiency and making everything work together...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts