Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm swapping an new LS3 crate motor from JEGs into my 68 and have a few parts questions. The first one is the oil pan. I know the stock LS3 pan does not work so I bought the LS3 package from JEGs that includes the LS conversion muscle car pan.

Chevrolet Performance 19212593, Chevrolet Performance LS Swap Oil Pan Kits | Chevrolet Performance

Laying them out side by side there is one part that does not match. It looks like the stock one has a pressure sender right above where the return lines are located. The replacement pan has a hole in the same location but it does not go all the way through and is not threaded like the stock one. Here are the pictures.

Have others dealt with this? I assume we could drill it out and tap the hole to transfer the sender over?

The other issue I have is with the bellhousing that I purchased to mate the engine to a TKO600. It was purchased from Speed Engineering and was supposed to support LS conversions like this.

http://www.amazon.com/ALUMINUM-BELL...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

5 of the 6 holes line up but one of them does not. Is it ok to only have 5 bolts vs. 6? The one that does not line up is NOT one next to the dowel pins. All 4 of those seem to line up just right. If you look at the second photo down in the ad it is the hole at 11:00. There is no matching hole in the LS3 block at that location.

Thanks for the help here.
Steve

·
Registered
590 Posts
Steve, I would not use the muscle car pan. It hangs down below the crossmember, and is less than ideal. Are you running a stock subframe? If so, look into the holley swap parts. They make all the parts needed to do the swap (oil pan, engine mounts ,headers, trans crossmember etc)- all designed to work together. It also allows for the optimum driveline angle which leads to smooth running driveline. On the bellhousing, its not a problem leaving the one bolt out.

·
19,900 Posts
Holley 302-1 or 302-2 works fine. I think that may be a check valve in the pan ?

Here's the Holley pan installed....Fits about the same as a SBC pan.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I agree with the Holley Swap parts perspective. I used all that stuff on my 68 swap, worked very well. I had zero fabrication.

Your original question... What is that thing? I believe it's a bypass for high pressure or something like that. The swap pan doesn't have it, I did not swap it over. I don't believe it's required.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The 302-1 will be a tight fit in the first gen subframe. It can be done as I have used it several times before, but you may need a thick washer under the frame stands or slightly clearance the frame crossmember. The 302-2 is the newest version and requires you to use the newer clamshell style mounts. If using long tubes, I believe you'll need to use the matching ones that were designed to go with the clamshell mounts. These mounts lower the engine, which improves the engine/trans angle as I mentioned above. Trying to use other swap headers with the 302-2 pan will not work, as they will hang to low & possibly interfere with the steering box. If you already have all your parts and just need a pan, I suggest the Mast Motorsports pan. Its well made and has much better clearance than the 302-1 holley pan. Keep us posted and lets see pics!!

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Use the Holley pan if you can. I need to swap the muscle car pan out of mine one of these days. Hangs about 1.5 below the crossmember. I've never hit it but have stock height front. I do not remember the pressure sender. Could be my 6.0 didn't have one.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
The 302-1 will be a tight fit in the first gen subframe. It can be done as I have used it several times before, but you may need a thick washer under the frame stands or slightly clearance the frame crossmember. The 302-2 is the newest version and requires you to use the newer clamshell style mounts. If using long tubes, I believe you'll need to use the matching ones that were designed to go with the clamshell mounts. These mounts lower the engine, which improves the engine/trans angle as I mentioned above. Trying to use other swap headers with the 302-2 pan will not work, as they will hang to low & possibly interfere with the steering box. If you already have all your parts and just need a pan, I suggest the Mast Motorsports pan. Its well made and has much better clearance than the 302-1 holley pan. Keep us posted and lets see pics!!
X2. Use the 302-2 or Mast pan. The Holley system is well thought out.

Don

·
19,900 Posts
1 7/8" Dynatech headers and fit was good....just really tight at the brake booster.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. I have adjustable coil overs on the front but other than that the subframe and rest of the components are stock. Out of curiosity, with the GM muscle car pan, how far does it hang below the stock subframe? Sounds like the Mast pan gets you the best clearance with stock setup.

The rest of my stuff was selected based on threads posted here. Dynatech headers, mounts from a 327 SBC, dingo slider brackets to allow me to keep the tranny in the same location where I had it mated to a 402 previously, etc.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress and pictures of the final setup.

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have adjustable coil overs on the front but other than that the subframe and rest of the components are stock. Out of curiosity, with the GM muscle car pan, how far does it hang below the stock subframe? Sounds like the Mast pan gets you the best clearance with stock setup.

The rest of my stuff was selected based on threads posted here. Dynatech headers, mounts from a 327 SBC, dingo slider brackets to allow me to keep the tranny in the same location where I had it mated to a 402 previously, etc.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress and pictures of the final setup.
Almost two inches. If your car is lowered you will likely have an issue. Poor choice for a pan. You may have trouble getting your driveline angles set.

Good pic here:

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/84745-GM-Performance-Parts-LS-Muscle-Car-Oil-Pan-19212593-LH8

Don

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Don, that photo is pretty convincing. My car sits pretty low so I better order up the Mast one here pretty quickly.

The GM pan came with a LS3 kit that included the engine, harness and pan.

·
19,900 Posts
Now keep in mind.... that Mast pan is a remote oil filter type pan and will be an added cost....the Holley is not ;)

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts

·
19,900 Posts
This is the Mast pan. It does not use a remote oil filter. It uses the stock oil filter.

Mast Motorsports High Performance Powertrain Solutions

Don

From their add info...
Sand cast aluminum oil pan – no leaking from fabricated/welded seams
• THE most universally designed LS engine swap conversion oil pan ever.
• Designed for swaps in to F-bodies (1st - 3rd), G-bodies, A-bodies, street rods & trucks
• Thick cast pan rail maintains the pan as a stressed member
• Innovative oiling circuitry with -10AN fittings eliminates need for expensive adapters for remote oil coolers & oil filter
• Uses production pan gasket for perfect seal (Sold Separately)
• Maintains factory oil filter location
• Cored and baffled for excellent oil control in Pro Touring, Auto Crossing & Road Racing applications
• “Cast-in” clearance fits most production windage trays or Mast LS short stroker windage tray
• Short front pan depth fits any chassis
• Optimum sump balances oil capacity and tight fit/low ground clearance for most applications
• Sump baffle cover included
• Oil drain on driver side of sump
• Runs standard GM oil filters
• Optional remote cooler fittings for easy, inexpensive oil routing options
• Optional cap and fittings for remote filter and cooler routing options
• Includes oil pickup to fit almost any stroke
• Enlarged oil passage holes for reduced oil pressure losses
• Internal cross drill eliminate external oil loop cap when using standard filter
• Production GM pressure relief valve bypass built into pan
• Oil Level sensor can be used but pan must be drilled and tapped by customer in designated location

·
Premium Member
4,636 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts