Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LS3 … or SBC

I’ve been thinking about an LS3 swap for at least a couple years, started a thread, looking to come up with a parts list, etc. I have a 68 with a 350 74-78 truck motor, TKO600 w/ 3.73, complete global west suspension, and Unisteer rack & pinion. Runs pretty well, no real problems.

The more I learn about the swap, the more i realize what a huge project it is (motor, electronics, mounts, headers, radiator, gas tank, etc, etc). From time to time I think it would we so much more simple to get a nice warmed over 350, 383, 400 sbc. I’m just looking for a little more hp and torque (and has to look nice). Other factor is, I can’t see doing the project myself (as much as I’d love to!), due to conflicting priorities for time, owning/running a business, family, etc. I thought I had someone lined up to do the LS3 swap for me this spring, until he blew me off (after waiting a year already).

For what it’s worth, I’d appreciate everyone’s feedback and advice (please). LS3 or SBC, and why? Thanx for listening.

Brad

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Re: LS3 … or SBC

Following,,I'm wondering the same,,,,I was thinking a crate 6.2L,,,,I LOVE the one in my 2017 Silverado!

Reactions: racer86y

·
20,137 Posts

A stock 6.0 with nothing more than cam and spring swap, add a carb intake, and a Daytona or MSD box....DONE ! ;)

You will need all the swap parts no matter what way you go.

Works for me :beers:

·
14,735 Posts

it is easy to get 5-600 hp out of a sb without all the head aches of going ls
LS is easy and not near the headache of a 500 plus HP SBC and much more reliable

Either way power cost $.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts

I’ve been thinking about an LS3 swap for at least a couple years, started a thread, looking to come up with a parts list, etc. I have a 68 with a 350 74-78 truck motor, TKO600 w/ 3.73, complete global west suspension, and Unisteer rack & pinion. Runs pretty well, no real problems.

The more I learn about the swap, the more i realize what a huge project it is (motor, electronics, mounts, headers, radiator, gas tank, etc, etc). From time to time I think it would we so much more simple to get a nice warmed over 350, 383, 400 sbc. I’m just looking for a little more hp and torque (and has to look nice). Other factor is, I can’t see doing the project myself (as much as I’d love to!), due to conflicting priorities for time, owning/running a business, family, etc. I thought I had someone lined up to do the LS3 swap for me this spring, until he blew me off (after waiting a year already).

For what it’s worth, I’d appreciate everyone’s feedback and advice (please). LS3 or SBC, and why? Thanx for listening.

Brad
Just have John do the swap. He can do it in a week! He is the LS swap King!

·
14,735 Posts

the thing about a sb is you don't need a special this or that and no computer:thumbsup:
But the computer is what makes it sooo good. Much easier tuning than old school once you embrace it.

My LS3 is 525-550 HP smooth as silk and gets over 20 mpg cruising with the TKO600 and 3:73s

I really like old school too👍👍👍

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

You can get a ECU right from GM that works with the crate engine you buy. Never had mine hooked to a PC, no tuning was required. Entire car was plug and play except for tach and speedo output. All the Holley mounts and headers where spot on. Only fabrication I did was to mount a GTO radiator.

OP - Once you drive an old car with a fuel injected LS you be wondering why it took you so long to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts

Dave, if you were gonna build a hybrid LS would you choose Mitchells version over Darts? I am leaning Johns way towards a big crate having thought about the World Products block but the latest Dart version tempts me more.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts

Awesome thread so far!! No bashing going on!! I really like the way you have yours set up Doug. I have seen Brent's as well kind of mix between old school and new school. I am old school but the addition of the EFI does add extra piece of mind and adds just enough "more" torque to the old school engine. I could imagine what the LS has to offer set up the same way.

I am not opposed to the LS. I just like the old school build of a SB or a BB Chevy.

My opinion if your leaning to the LS, the way Doug and others have done with a carb and intake set up would be my choice.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts

Bill Mitchell was the first to market. To be truthful I wasn't even aware of Dart's offering.

I saw this build on my Sunday morning car show, andeven though it isn't a budget build it probably costs about the same as an LS-x swap; with the advantage of all of the SBC short block parts being readily available. A 440 cube SBC breathing through late model LS heads topped with a carburetor (my favorite since I see no reason to jump on the EFI band wagon just yet) made sense to me.

I haven't compared the costs of the build but I will wager it is close to the price of a Shafiroff standard deck 582 (I built one just like it and spent twice as much on parts) that you could paint orange and put 396 325 horse decals on (not that I would do that; I claimed my 582 was a 305 SBC with a three quarter race cam, and burnt out glass packs) Which is why having a flat hood and retaining the inner fenders is important. If any one noticed it was a BBC I claimed it was a 402 out of a one ton truck to explain the cam sound.

582 Big Block Chevy Ultrastreet Pump Gas Engine

Big Dave

·
14,735 Posts

When I researched the Hybrid the cost was at least 50% to the cost of an LS GM crates motor all said and done.

Now if you have an SBC and can use a lot of the parts then the hybrid might be a good way to go.

They do make big power.

Reactions: H20cooled

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts

Does anyone have links to these kits complete? What I mean is I'm aware of the Holley kits, but is there a complete kit bolt in for 1st Gen that comes with the crate engine too? or are there too many HP choices that make it hard to put the whole shebang together for one price?
Big Dave, that is a great price for that much horsepower!

Brett.....

·
20,137 Posts

Does anyone have links to these kits complete? What I mean is I'm aware of the Holley kits, but is there a complete kit bolt in for 1st Gen that comes with the crate engine too? or are there too many HP choices that make it hard to put the whole shebang together for one price?
Big Dave, that is a great price for that much horsepower!

Brett.....
You can buy the Holley kit for the install and GM for the long block.

I'm sure there is someone who makes and sells a complete one stop shop kit.....but at a cost since all the legwork is done.

·
14,735 Posts

Ok bottom line an LS swap using a new GM crate motor will cost $10k-$12k depending on 430,480 or 525. Not included tranny. The 480 is best bang for the buck. It’s now rated at 495 hp.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts

I have come to believe that John is correct that the big crate LS is the best bang for the buck, and likely the best shot at a however reasonable long haul driver. But, if ya just gotta tinker, as i understand it, you cant bore the aluminum blocks but they are better strokers @ 4” than cast. You can bore cast however. Mitchells block has really only Erson (also Mitchell) as a cam source and the valve train geometry is weird. All thats left is the SHP LS Next from Dart. I dunno. I think it would be fun to have a “stump the observer” setup. I like the look of Dougs but also wouldnt object to losing the carb. I keep trolling for a deal on build parts but i will likely wind up with a crate.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

John, (I’m in MA) if I was closer to you…I’d drop it off next weekend! I was looking at the 480 as part of my LS3 swap plan. No idea what I have for hp right now. I feel like I’d be pretty happy in the 400-450+ hp range? I’m now thinking that if I go the sbc route, I can get the hp and tourque I’m looking for (yes?) without rattling my teeth at a stoplight, not spend quite as much $$(?), and it’s a pretty simple motor swap. What am I missing? Driving maybe 1500-2000 miles a year, the gas mileage benefit doesn’t make my socks go up and down.

Thanx for,everyone’s input!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts

My LS3 is 525-550 HP smooth as silk and gets over 20 mpg cruising with the TKO600 and 3:73s

I really like old school too
I am as happy as a pig in mud:grin2: we figure my 383 is now 540 at the crank. originally 532 off the dyno. 26" tire, 3:55 rear and the gear vendor, running 75-(80 2600 rpm)mph freeway speed for a hour I got 17.174 mpg

1 - 20 of 127 Posts