Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all my buddys got a 96 Z28 and is fully rebuilding the LT1. Forged rods, speed pro pistons, eagle crank.... the whole shot. He wants a hot cam in it but he needs to be able to pass smog.:mad: Does anyone have any good ideas for cam selections. I know all the big cam grinders make LT1/LT4 cams.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello all my buddys got a 96 Z28 and is fully rebuilding the LT1. Forged rods, speed pro pistons, eagle crank.... the whole shot. He wants a hot cam in it but he needs to be able to pass smog.:mad: Does anyone have any good ideas for cam selections. I know all the big cam grinders make LT1/LT4 cams.
Largest cam in Cali I've heard of passing was a Comp Cams XE 230/236, and this was on a dyno style smog. The Comp Cams 503 (224/230) is said to be the largest that will pass with consistency. Dyno smog machines are your friend because big cams clean up somewhat when you load them. At idle they are dirty. Good luck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about the LT4 Hot cam kit? Is that a good choice that builds solid power? Thanx

·
Registered
214 Posts
The LT4 Hot Cam is only a 218/228 112 LSA so while its a nice bump up over the stock cam there are many others choices out there which are more agressive. I know a couple people that have the hot cam in their lt1's and blow clean out here in Cali. So If he goes with this cam I dont think he'll have any problems passing smog. He just might not get as much power as he could by going with another cam.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts