Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an LT1 engine and my intentions were to pull the intake and put on a carb. This block is different from what I'm used to. I was planning on putting on an intake, dropping in a distributor and go. But the old distributor is in the front.

What is needed to get this engine running? Do I have to swap the cam/timing cover? Is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Why in the world would you trash a perfectly good engine by putting a carb on it?
Get a computer, standalone harness and fuel pump and get 'er running as she should.
Many companies, including street and performance and painless just to name 2, make harness for these.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,642 Posts
I have to agree with Jim. The EFI is one of the best reasons to swap to these motors. By removing the EFI stuff you aren't really gaining anything over your SBC (unless your motor is toast). If you are looking for a low mileage (10K) combo (EVERYTHING to put into your car except for fuel pump) let me know. I have one available, PM me if you are interested.

BTW, the LT1's are great motors to put into any old car.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
To go back to the original question without injecting my own opinion, yes, if you install a manifold with a distributor hole you can install a distributor.

The reverse cooling, LT1 / LT4 specific heads, cam driven water pump, all will have to stay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts