Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Assuming hydraulic flat tappet, you want to soak the lifters in oil for a couple days. Take em out of the oil as you're installing em, wipe the bottom clean, smear it with the compcam lube and drop it in the hole.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
If they are hydraulic lifters just a thought, I used to take an old maxwell-house coffee can fill it with oil ,soak a few days as Jim mentioned,then find a buddy with a drill press chuck up an old pushrod in it with lifter in oil in maxwell house can work pushrod up and down this will fill lifter cavity with oil, then clean as Jim mentioned, lube with cam lube

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
If they are hydraulic lifters just a thought, I used to take an old maxwell-house coffee can fill it with oil ,soak a few days as Jim mentioned,then find a buddy with a drill press chuck up an old pushrod in it with lifter in oil in maxwell house can work pushrod up and down this will fill lifter cavity with oil, then clean as Jim mentioned, lube with cam lube
I agree, its old school but when you need to quickly get this puppy started and run for 20-30 min , you dont have to fool with adjustments until you are thru with the breakin. Use some Rotella or Delo oil for breakin along with a cam of GM EOS,,, just for protection.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
ANd don't forget to put some moly-lube on each one's foot too like Isky's REV-LUBE!

As well as on the p/r ends and rocker arm balls!!

pdq67

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't do that of soaking the lifters. It is old school and could be damaging to the new hydaulic lifters. They have the possibility of seizing up and acting like a solid lifter.

"Do Hydraulic Lifters Need to be Primed with Oil?
Many people mistakenly believe that hydraulic lifters must be soaked in oil overnight and be hand pumped up with a pushrod before installing into a new engine, however this is not necessary. In fact, this could cause the lifter to act as a ?solid? and prevent obtaining proper preload. What is very necessary is the priming of the entire engine?s oil system before starting up a new engine for the first time. This is done by turning the oil pump with a drill motor to force oil throughout the entire engine. Crane Cams offers oil pump primers for Chevrolet and Ford engines."

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=faq&id=3 from Crane cams. I have done this to a lifter in my set... if anyone has suggestions about how to free it up, it could be a big help?

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Done at least 4 smallblocks that way with no problem, that is why the hydraulics have springs , mechanicals don't.That is news to me:secret:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Question: I just button up the intake. I did not wipe off the oil off the foot of the lifter. I just smeared some Crane cam lube on the foot of the lifter WITH oil already on it. This OK?

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Look, imho, you should be OK IF you fire her up soon after finishing putting her together IF there is any chance that stuff can drain/drip off the cam lobe's and lifter feet.

That's why we use moly lube paste b/c it CAN'T fall off over time!! Don't let her dry out before you fire her up or you just may scuff the lobe's and lifter feet...

One other thing and that is that I ALWAY's "finger" lube each lifter bore good w/ oil and then check and make darn sure that I can spin each lifter using my oilie fingers to make sure there is NO binding at all here...

AND watch "fingering" down in there b/c the tops and bottoms of the lifter bores can be really sharp and you may just cut h-ll outta one of your fingers!! Been there, done that!!

pdq67

PS., as well as use a small bottle of good old GM EOS un top of a full oil change

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, I did dump some of the Crane cam lube on top of the lobs after I adjusted the valves.

Probably will not get to fire it up for another couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Take it out, take it apart and clean everything and the piddle valve. set it into a can submerged in oil, if you can, use the stroking action of a drill press to purge air and take in oil. You have to get the air out, new school, old school or no school. Lube bottom and drop in. If it will not take in the oil or expell the air, you will have to try an other lifter. Then worry about mating surfaces, again. Marvel oil is good for freeing stuck internals.

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
dubs68camaro (I'll apologize in advance for hyjacking your post & my spelling), but I'm getting ready to put in new Comp hyd lifters, new Comp push rods & new Comp roller rockers with an EXISTING Comp cam. If I understand the general conclusions here, the idea is to get the air out of the lifters and oil in by soaking them in oil and having a drill press push the air out, a good Marvel Mystery oil lubricant that will stay on the bottom/sides of the lifters until the motor is manually turned or oil pumped through the motor before the initial start up. Did I miss anything? Thanks, Charlie 69 RS

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
dubs68camaro (I'll apologize in advance for hyjacking your post & my spelling), but I'm getting ready to put in new Comp hyd lifters, new Comp push rods & new Comp roller rockers with an EXISTING Comp cam. If I understand the general conclusions here, the idea is to get the air out of the lifters and oil in by soaking them in oil and having a drill press push the air out, a good Marvel Mystery oil lubricant that will stay on the bottom/sides of the lifters until the motor is manually turned or oil pumped through the motor before the initial start up. Did I miss anything? Thanks, Charlie 69 RS
I will attempt to hyjack this note, for your benefit. I hope you did not get the wrong wording from me and if you did, then I may have misunderstood.
I did read you are installing new parts with EXISTING cam?? No No. You don't do this unless you are looking for problems, I know its been done, but you don't want to do this. You have already worn a pattern on your existing comp cam. Don't do it.
Purging air out of lifters is one thing, putting old cam with new lifter, you are asking for trouble. just my .02 here.

Don

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
From past experiance, if you pull lifters out always mark where they come from when you use same cam, But Never use new lifters with old cam , I agree ....you are asking for possible problems. The bottom of lifters get worn to cam and cam gets worn to lifters....I've seen it done but few get away with it............cam cost is cheap for reliability....just my opinion

·
Premium Member
1,463 Posts
Don & Alan, thanks again for your timely advice. I went ahead and ordered a new Comp cam from Summit----- well worth waiting a couple extra days to do it right. Not sure what I was thinking in trying to mate a used cam with new lifters, new pushrods, new valve springs & new roller rockers. Good thing you guys were here to set me straight! Charlie 69 RS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts