Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some new 17 x 9.5" rims and lug nuts (acorn style) for the rears and wondering if they are secured good enough. I got 4.25 complete revolutions out of the lug nuts when torqued down. On the front wheels I got 7 revolutions. Are 4 revolutions enough for the back wheels. Should it make a difference I'm running 430hp at the fly with 12 bolt posi and 5 spd.

·
Super Moderator
32,429 Posts
Ask the wheel manufacturer on lug nut torque and torque to it. Make a run, say a few blocks, then recheck torque.

Check torque again a week later. Obviously, you don't want to overtorque as it will distort rotors/drums, pulsating pedal when brakes are applied.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The stock studs are 7/16 x 20tpi . At 20 threads per inch if you have 4.5 full turns on the nuts that is only about 1/4". I'd really suggest longer studs.

·
19,837 Posts
The stock studs are 7/16 x 20tpi . At 20 threads per inch if you have 4.5 full turns on the nuts that is only about 1/4". I'd really suggest longer studs.
I agree.

The nuts should be screwed on at least the diameter of the stud or threads be even with the face of the nut for proper engagement. I'd got with the second one unless they're closed end.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
8 turns is the minimum from what I've read. Buy some new studs regardless if you can achieve the torque figure. Those wheels have to stay on there for years not a couple days. To little thread contact will cause fatigue and could turn out really bad.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
It's common to need longer rear studs. I used NAPA #641-1615.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback and confirming that I have a legitimate concern. I'll go with some longer studs.

Robert - thanks for the recommendation and NAPA part #. I'll see if I can round these up locally.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Al - I read that post and a little confused on what size knurl I need. I installed some Moser C-clip axles into my stock 12 bolt with an SS Brakes disc conversion. Will try and get the info. from Moser but if anybody else knows please let me know.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We use these on every install...

They are a ET conical. Basically, they have a .25" shoulder that reach into the wheel to grab a .25" more stud. Also, they give the wheel something a little better to center up on than just the 60 degree conical seat. We sell them for a 1.00 each when bought with a wheel set, or 1.25ea when bought separately. That might solve your problem for a whole lot less than pressing in new studs. Just an option...

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jon - that lugnut you got there would give me the extra 1/4 inch that would put me 1/16th past the diameter of the stud (7/16) and in line with what sounds to be the acceptable rule/standard. I just figured out I have 1 1/4" inch studs in there now and the next available is 1 3/4" which I believe would be slightly too long. I don't think I have another 1/2 inch left in the lug nut to suck that up. I'll be calling you. Thanks for the awesome idea that looks like will save me some extra work.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered 20 of these. Much better than the regular style conical lug nuts. I really appreciate you offering the help and solution Jon - you definitely saved me from busting a few knuckles. Thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
No problem, my pleasure to help! They shipped out today too, you should have already received an email from UPS with your tracking information. Let me know if you need help with anything in the future.

·
Registered
663 Posts
We use these on every install...

They are a ET conical. Basically, they have a .25" shoulder that reach into the wheel to grab a .25" more stud. Also, they give the wheel something a little better to center up on than just the 60 degree conical seat. We sell them for a 1.00 each when bought with a wheel set, or 1.25ea when bought separately. That might solve your problem for a whole lot less than pressing in new studs. Just an option...
I'm a fan of these ET conical lug nuts too but one word of warning -- make sure you pack a set of your "old" lug nuts for your spare tire (if you run one) or at least check your spare with those lugs.... This is the kind of thing that's bad to find out after you get a flat and try to figure out how to bolt up your spare....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a fan of these ET conical lug nuts too but one word of warning -- make sure you pack a set of your "old" lug nuts for your spare tire (if you run one) or at least check your spare with those lugs.... This is the kind of thing that's bad to find out after you get a flat and try to figure out how to bolt up your spare....

Good Call! :thumbsup: My spare is a centerline wheel that uses the other style lugs and I would have not thought to pack a set in the trunk if you hadn't mentioned it. Thanks:beers:

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
Anyone know if those ET Conicals will fit a set of AR Hopsters? I currently have 17x9.5 hopsters on my 69 camaro with a moser 12 bolt. I got c clip axles. Right now I have drum brakes on my axle and I am just shy of 7 complete turns using regular acorn lugs with the hopster rims. I ordered a Baer Serious street rear disc kit and Baer said the rotors are a little wider than the drums. I'm wondering if those ET Conical lugs would make up the extra distance without having to get new wheel studs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts