Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of stepping up to a Solid Roller. Currently I am running a Comp xtreme energy xe274h flat tappet, which is 552/555 lift, 230/236 dur @ 050 on 110/106 LSA/ICL. I am thinking of going with a Lunati Voodoo Solid Roller 60232. It has 655/663 lift with 243/249 dur @ 050 on 110/106 LSA/ICL. It's a 67 coupe, with 030 over 454, 9.6:1 cr, ported Merlin oval ports, Performer RPM, Holley 950hp and a turbo 400/3000 stall running to a ford 9 inch with 3:50 gears. Currently with the flat tappet, it carries 12" of vacuum at idle which is plenty for the power brakes. According to Lunati tech, this solid roller will have as much vacuum as I have now with a choppier idle.
Do you guys think I will have the same amount of vacuum for power brakes? I'm looking for improved performance with a rough idle. The car is a street car, that is driven occasionally.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Seems that 12" is a little low for either cam. What's your idle speed?
The proposed Lunati SR, IMHO, would be a great match for your combo.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
9.6:1 Static with a 243 @ .050" Intake will give you approx a 7.5:1 DCR suggest you set down a notch to around 237 @.050" like the 60231 for Intake and get the DCR up to around 8:1 especially with them 3.50 gears. I also think your over Carbed where an 850 would be more suitable. Get the Ever-Wear Gear Option and DO NOT skimp on the Lifters - either ISKY EZ or Crower HIPPO's. Comp Cams 933 Springs should do nicely - Presuming this is a Ride for the Street and Not a Strip TOY. If your Static was 10:1 or slightly better I would recommend the Lunati 502A1. 7/16" Push Rods, 2" ARP Rocker Studs and descent Roller Rockers like Harland Sharp or Pro Mags are a must. I also recommend a Stud Girdle with lifts over .630" and beneficial with any SR in my opinion. You would be surprised just how much them Rocker Studs Flex in the Upper RPM Range knocking hang from your Lash. That Cam has to be securely locked in with a .004" End Play - Don't rely on the Stock Valve Cover and a Teflon Button. ISKY makes an excellent Positive Stop Anti-Cam-Walk Device and stack Lube Impregnated Kick Back Wear Plates (Not the Torrington Type). Drill a 1/64" hole in the Front PSGR Lifter Gallery Plug and another through the front Cam Boss into the Cam Journal Oil Gallery behind the Wear Plates, which you also drill a few holes into, to lube the Anti-Cam-Walk Devices.

I'm not familiar with Merlin Heads but something to keep in mind is OEM Heads require +.100" longer Valves or the guides shortened with lifts over .670"

To me if you never go above 6200rpm, which you rarely do on the street, the XM274H-12 would be ideal for your set up offering better torque through the RPM Range then the XE274H-10.

It's NOT CHEAP to get that extra 1000 rpm and 100 Hp and in my opinion not worth it unless your completely hopeless like Fred - Guess I shouldn't point fingers, I'm about as hopeless as it gets - LOL

If you stick with that 60232 you should have 10 Hg at Idle and just enough to run your Power Brakes but with that 9.6:1 Static and 3.50 gears the 60231 would be a better choice offering more torque with your Set Up and approx 12 Hg, in my opinion.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also think your over Carbed where an 850 would be more suitable.
An 850 Holley actually flows more than a 950HP carb. :yes:

The 950HP is a 750 main body with an 850 base plate. I had a 950 built by Patrick at Pro Systems several years ago and on his flow bench it flowed 824 cfm. IMO, the 950 makes a real nice street carb for a moderate sized BBC. Very crisp throttle response that still makes decent power up top.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Idle speed is 850-900. In a recent engine masters magazine article they tested a bunch of comp cams in a 383 small block. When they tested the xe274h it also pulled 12" of vacuum at idle. The carb is an AED 950hp. According to them it actually flows around 830cfm. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of hp/tq numbers my combo should be making with this cam?
Thanks for the replys.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Ron! I was reading your post #3 and thinking 'That sounds like the good advice Ron gave to me'. And then I looked at who wrote it.
Yeah, hopeless.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts