Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my M20 rebuilt about 500 miles ago. I have a new 383 as well. If I start the car, I can let it idle for 15-20 minutes and nothing leaks. But if I drive for any length of time it begins to leak. It does eventually stop leaking after it sits for several days. I can't tell if the front of the tranny is leaking, or if it's coming from the back of the motor. It's coming from the back of the oil pan/front of the tranny. Is this an obvious tranny leak since it doesn't leak until I drive it, or is it not that simple? Mike. :beers: :beers:

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
smell it...

does it smell like 80-90w oil?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
get someone else to smell it. if you used 90 wt dyno gear lube, the stuff stinks to high heaven.

Check your oil level in the trans. Supposedly "full" means so it's almost leaking out the hole when you pull the pipe plug, but I've found they always leak out the front if you put that much oil in them. I only fill them so when I stick my pinky in the hole as far as it will go, on;y my fingertip gets wet.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check your oil level in the trans. Supposedly "full" means so it's almost leaking out the hole when you pull the pipe plug, but I've found they always leak out the front if you put that much oil in them. I only fill them so when I stick my pinky in the hole as far as it will go, on;y my fingertip gets wet.
I'd say you just solved my problem Jim. I filled mine until it was leaking out the hole and then quickly replaced the plug. Thank you. Mike. :beers: :beers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.