Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some help from some of the Muncie experts out there.

I just reinstalled my newly rebuilt Hurst Comp Plus 4-Speed Shifter back into my `68 SS with 427 (L72), & M21 , and adjusted all Linkage Rods as per the Hurst Neutral Alignment Procedure using all new steel bushings and retainers. While up on jack stands, I had the Clutch Pedal pushed down to the floor (with a steel rod between the front seat mount and pedal) for a couple of hours so the 1-2, 3-4, and reverse levers could be moved to set the Linkage positions while under the car. With the install and alignment complete, I put the car back on the ground and went to test the shifter out. The first red flag that went up was that while the shifter operates very smoothly through all gears, it did so without the Clutch Pedal being depressed! The Pedal travel still seems as firm as it always has, and upon visual inspection, there does not appear to be any mechanical damage or binding with any of the Clutch related Linkages, Springs, or hardware. In other words, the 1-2, and 3-4 Gear Levers can now be placed into any forward gear without the Clutch being pushed to the floor. I fired the car up (carefully) with the Clutch in, and sure enough, I'm not getting into any forward gear, but do have reverse. Nothing was done to the Clutch during the shifter install, and the car was driven into the shop just before this.

This is the original `68 Muncie M21, and in my mind, it seems like one of two things may have happened:

1.) The Clutch itself may in fact be stuck in the disengaged position due to a broken or binding Throw Out Bearing, Fork, or Return Spring that may have occurred from the Clutch being depressed for several hours, and it just decided to let go (?)

2.) This has nothing to do with the Clutch, and something was internally damaged by moving the Rod Levers during the Shifter install.

The confusing thing about this to me is that reverse still grabs and engages with the Clutch, so this would seem to indicate that the Clutch is at least doing what it's supposed to do to some degree. Unfortunately, Muncies are not my field of expertise, so any input, advise, or suggestions out there would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bigblox

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
It's normal to be able to run through the gears with the engine off and the clutch engaged. Since you have reverse, I'm guessing your shifter stop bolts are keeping the levers from fully engaging. You might want to start by disconnecting the 1-2 and 3-4 rods and manually putting the trans in first and see if it engages.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
normally any clutch problems will first show up as grinding going into reverse. Take a good look at the shifter before you do anything else.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Yep, I'm with go2fast. Back the stop bolts out and see if you can move the shifter farther into gear. If that was the problem, put car in 3rd and hold it there. Adjust that hard stop to where contact is made. Back it out 1 full turn and tighten jam nut. Then go to 4th and do the same. It's important to hold the shifter in gear when making these adjustments.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Remember, the only physical change you made to the setup was that of the shifter rod adjustment. I agree with these guys, before you start to complicate the problem by digging any further, make sure you have correctly established rod adjustment. Sometimes we tend to overthink these things.

Bill

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of your input guys. Sounds like a pretty general consensus on the stop bolts being misadjusted, and thinking about it, this certainly makes the most sense.

Probably a bonehead move on my part - I threaded them into the shifter body and left them loose for the time being with the intention of adjusting and tightening them once I was sure all else was working properly. They were probably moved (or vibrated) a couple of threads in too deep during the install.

I'm traveling on business right now, but will probably jump on this before I even unpack later this week because it's been buggin' the crap out of me! Live and learn!

Thanks again for all of your advise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts