Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
67 SS/RS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to sound like a total newb question...
I have had cars with M21 transmissions but not the M22. I had a friend decades ago with a BB Chevelle that had a M22 but my memory of that car isn't that good...

Question is - with the car sitting still idling in neutral, clutch engaged, does the M22 whine, or is it just when in gear moving?

Reason for asking... looking at a few first gen Camaros (I have videos of the all running), one claims to have a M22 and it has a strange distinct whine just idiling... (very noticable) it could be an water pump bushing or that tranny. I wont know until I go look at it, but thought someone may be able to shed light on the "whine" here on the web.

· Premium Member
67 SS/RS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible, but I dont think the engine build is that hot... I was thinking gear drive sounds about like a 6-71, been a while since I was near one with gear drive. I do remember they make a lot of noise.

· Premium Member
67 SS/RS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10-4, thanks guys. I didnt think it should either. I do understand the straighter (is that a word?) gears do make more noise than the angle cut gears in the 20 and 21.

· Registered
1,314 Posts
I have had cars with M21 transmissions but not the M22. I had a friend decades ago with a BB Chevelle that had a M22 but my memory of that car isn't that good...

Question is - with the car sitting still idling in neutral, clutch engaged, does the M22 whine, or is it just when in gear moving?

Reason for asking... looking at a few first gen Camaros (I have videos of the all running), one claims to have a M22 and it has a strange distinct whine just idiling... (very noticable) it could be an water pump bushing or that tranny. I wont know until I go look at it, but thought someone may be able to shed light on the "whine" here on the web.
The whine in neutral is a sign of trouble and $$ that has to be spent to fix.
the cause. It could be anything from the throw out bearing to a transmission bearing. The whine is due to the cut of the gears when they mesh while driving.

· Premium Member
67 SS/RS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@fairfax1000

yes Sir, I get it. The cut angle of the gears in a M22 is what makes them whine, they are nearly straight cut (similar to the gear drive valvetrain mentioned about). I just didn't know if they made noise while just sitting there in neutral, or if only when in gear and spinning the assembly.

16,879 Posts
@fairfax1000

yes Sir, I get it. The cut angle of the gears in a M22 is what makes them whine, they are nearly straight cut (similar to the gear drive valvetrain mentioned about). I just didn't know if they made noise while just sitting there in neutral, or if only when in gear and spinning the assembly.
If the gears aren't turning they can't make noise. Same as the rear end. If the cars not moving the gears aren't turning.

· Premium Member
67 SS/RS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the gears aren't turning they can't make noise. Same as the rear end. If the cars not moving the gears aren't turning.
:LOL: well I have to agree with you there, but with the clutch engaged the input shaft is for sure spinning, and possibly the countershaft, not sure. Thats where my thought process came from.(y)

· Registered
1,314 Posts

Rereading your original post, this whine noise is most likely “Gear drive”. That would be a set of gears connecting the crankshaft and camshaft instead of a timing chain.

Attachments

· Registered
180 Posts
Even idling, the input shaft in trans will spin. Therefore, the cluster gear is also spinning. So , all gears are turning. The cluster in turn spins on the upper main gears. But no load or force is on them. The slider when in neutral is not locked into any gears therefore no load is being applied. The main (output) shaft will not be spinning. This is what drives the wheels when engaged. But the gears are spinning all of them all the time even if car is not moving.
Once u step on the clutch and put it in gear, this is when the gear selected stops free spinning Immediatly. Eliminating any noise from this gear.
I deal with race car straight cut gear boxes but same principle. It’s possible to whine in neutral but should be a lot less when not having a load on it.
As far as gear oil the brass needs gl4 oil. The newer gl5 is too slick and won’t allow the brass(synchro) to grab the gear and stop it from spinning. This needs to happen for a smooth shift and no gear crunch.

· Premium Member
67 SS/RS
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Melmount thank you, this was my thought process and the reason I asked the question. I feel better about it now. Years ago I had a toploader in a Ford and it did this. It had a pretty aggressive angle on the gears, but not quite as aggressive as the M22 if I remember correctly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts