Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a question. I just got a call from the guy I have rebuilding my transmission, and he showed me how just about every gear is badly worn as well as the stripped gears in the cluster that I originally found. The question is this, he can rebuild it to M21 specs for $950.00 or make it an M22 with the Italian gearset for $1600. Is this worth it? How much stronger is the M22? I am putting it behind a Big Block, more than likely the 454 I already have.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Go with the Italian gear set (Maseo?..or something like that),..said to be high-nickel forgings and much stronger than stock. They're cut at straighter angles, ala M-22. Also, as long as you're at it, get the Autogear main-case,..I believe it's $250 (someone correct me if I'm off).

Or for about $2000, have Autogear build you a Muncie:

www.autogear.net

I run one behind a healthy 496 and with street tires, and the Autogear Muncie is more than up to the task. The tranny was a little tight at first but after about 3-400 miles, she's smooooooth! Might do a search on this site, "autogear" for more opinions,..most of which are very favorable.

Good luck!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M22's weren't all that common right? So I assume that M21's hold up fine to BB torque. Still not sure on what to do, but thank you for the reply. If enough people tell me that the 22 is the way to go, then I may actually do it, but the price is sure going to hurt. Does anyone know of a clip I can watch of a car with a rock crusher? I want to get an idea of what the noise level is.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I love my rockcrusher and LOVE that whine. Some folks think it's irritating but I think it's very "motorhead" sounding. The whine of mine is more noticeable on the outside than on the inside of the car, i had a friend do a drive by. I don't know where you might find a sound clip, but I would compare it to the whine of logging truck in low gear, (not as loud) which is where you will hear it whine the most, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, not so much 4th. And yes it's tough, could break next time I drive it but I am very satisfied with mine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hey guys, I've got a question. I just got a call from the guy I have rebuilding my transmission, and he showed me how just about every gear is badly worn as well as the stripped gears in the cluster that I originally found. The question is this, he can rebuild it to M21 specs for $950.00 or make it an M22 with the Italian gearset for $1600. Is this worth it? How much stronger is the M22? I am putting it behind a Big Block, more than likely the 454 I already have.
Mazieri gears...I've had to make same choice but for a 406 sbc with >500 ft lbs torque...you should get around $200 as a core credit for your old trans because the tail housings and main shafts are worth something to the trans shop...I was told the M21's are rated at 475 ft lbs max...not sure on the M22's but they can certainly take more of a pounding so that's what I'm doing.

Go with the M22...cool factor is worth something, right!?

·
Registered
72 Posts
M22's weren't all that common right? So I assume that M21's hold up fine to BB torque. Does anyone know of a clip I can watch of a car with a rock crusher? I want to get an idea of what the noise level is.
Many years ago (70s) I had a 69 SS with a 375HP 396. Bought it with 40K something miles on it. I broke the M21 it came within 15K Miles. The M21s are not that strong behind a healthy BBC if you pound on them much. M21 seem to hold up much better behind SBCs.

Get The 1971 Movie Two Lane Blacktop if you want to know what a Real M22 sounds like.:beers:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I actually really liked the sound. Well, I had my transmission builder build mine to M21 specs. I really need the money for other things. Maybe one day I'll get to build an M22. Thank you all so much for the responses.
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
I had a "crusher" in my last car. The noise is not all that bad. It's definitely gonna be two or three times as loud as an M20 or M21. But, these are pretty loud boxes to begin with. To put it in perspective, I just replaced my M20 with a T-56. I can't even hear the T-56!! Modern gear design, runs Dexron III instead of 85-90W gear oil, etc..... Now if I could just quiet down that 9" rear end!!

If you're looking for that "performance sound", you could always use a a Jerico DR4-4 drag racing transmission!!!

http://www.jericoperformance.com/2.html

My buddy has one of these behind the 750HP, 500+ inch BBC in his '68. It sounds like a rock-crusher with a bag of 1/2" nuts thrown inside!! You can hear this transmission over the 3" exhaust! Straight cut gears and no concessions made to cost in these babies!!

I don't know how much HP and torque this unit will really take, and it is pricey at $4,100 but, I'll bet you it'll be the last trans you ever have to buy!! :D

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Now if I could just quiet down that 9" rear end!!
Why is it noisy? Gear whine? Locker? I can't hear my 9" with a TrueTrac.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Rodder,

I'm getting a lot of gear whine! Although I have all the proper tools and have set up dozens of chucks by myself, it was cheaper and easier for me to buy this one all set up from DTS.

It does have 3.89 gears in it but it makes a lot of noise just the same. I'd say this unit makes twice the noise of my old 4.56, 12 bolt. I'm not really a "green horn" with the 9" Ford but, I've never really driven one in anything with an exhaust system on it!! So, I have nothing to compare it against!!

I've probably got less than 3K miles on this thing. Maybe I should pull it and check the wear pattern on the gears???

·
Registered
189 Posts
Steve,

Really kewl that you posted that sound byte. I don't have an M22, but my Doug Nash whines exactly the same as your M22. I had posted a while back asking if anyone knew if the gear helix angle was the same in these two trans - I think they are. They sound exactly the same - very noticeable when I downshift.

Mike

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
PDQUICK, I've read that there are 3 things that cause gear whine:
1) Improper setup
2) The cut of the gears
3) Improper break-in

There's a lot of people running custom rears with full exhausts over on ls1tech.com. When I was doing research, the #1 complaint over there was gear noise, particularly on assembled rear ends from one particular vendor.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Rodder,

I'm assuming that this "third member's" set-up was professionally done and correct, and I know I broke the gears in as DTS recomended. I've always assumed that these gears are just gonna be noisy (3 years now!). DTS claims in the litterature provided with the pumpkin that: "there is no guarantee that aftermarket gears will be quiet".

Big Gear Head: Any experience with PG gears for a 9" Ford in a 3.89 ratio being loud????

Paul D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts