Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I found a 305 stoker kit from power house The kit sounds pretty good kinda expensive tho. My question is what is the bigest bore to go to without weekend it. Its tore all down and had problems getting the #8 piston out. also this is my first engine that ive done. on the piston its stamp 10 what does that mean thats its been bored 10 over. Thnaks again for all the help.:D

------------------

·
Registered
14 Posts
Probably had probs with the #8 piston because you had a ridge at the top of the cylinder. This is caused by uneven wear in the cylinder by the rings. Any GOOD machine shop should be able to look at your block and tell you if its ok to bore. Standard bore is usually .030 over. You can get a micrometer and measure yours to see if it has already been bored .010 over(marked on piston) or have the machine shop do it. Im speaking with ford experience here, just learning GM. Should all be the same though.

·
3,563 Posts
Kevy,
Ask around and try to find a local machine shop that does a lot of performance work. Tell them what you are doing. They should be willing to give you the advice you need. It is almost impossible to answer machining questions without having the parts in front of you to look at. Otherwise you are just guessing. Give the guys at the machine shop a chance to sell you the engine kit too. It might be a bit more expensive, but it will make them a lot more willing to help with all the questions that you are going to have. If you need some machine shop recommendations go to this site and do a search for a member shop: www.aera.org/main.htm
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.