Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I could figure out how to insert a picture, I would...:confused:

The main engine harness... has 1/2 the leads going over to the starter, coil, etc. The other half heads up to the grill and connects up the headlights, horn relay, voltage regulator, etc.

I pulled off the connector from the firewall, and the 1/2 that connects to the grill seems to have some type of "goop" all over all of the contacts.

The 1/2 that goes the other way is completely clean, with no "goop".

Can anyone define what the goop is?? It looks like perhaps some type of anti-corrosive material? It is not corrosion. And, everything worked up front.

So, what is it, and anyone got any recommendation for how to put it back together during restoration?

Is there a way to insert a .jpeg photo in this forum other than by url? Pics are worth alot!

Thanks----

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
How do you insert a URL anyway.
First web sight I have ever been on that asks it that way.
Makes no sense. Isn't JPG the most common format????

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, inserting a photo is easy, but the only option I could fond on the toolbar said "insert image"....but that asks you to enter the url of your image?

Am I missing something? Not PC literate,...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Most common method here for inserting pictures into posts is the URL method which requires you to have an account(they're free) with a website such as PhotoBucket,Webshots, or CarDomain.You upload photo's to the website and link the url from there. There is another method that has been discussed on here but I do not have any experience with that method. You can do a search on "How to post pictures" and it will explain the two methods of pic posting.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The goop your talking about is dialectic grease....
Thanks David. Ah, yes, that makes sense. Q: Why only on 1/2 of the harness? Is that because it is the 1/2 more prone to corrosion to it (the wiring supporting the headlamps, etc....

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I don't believe the factory put any kind of dielectric grease on the connectors, but it's a good idea to do so. The dielectric grease is typically a clear silicon grease - not silicon sealer (RTV). Silicon grease has a "creaping" property that allows it to seep into inaccessable places - keeping out moisture and oxygen to prevent corrosion. I use it on just about every electrical connection I touch. But due to the creaping properties, you sometimes have to be conservative if you don't want the grease to creap out and make a mess. It will collect dust and dirt and there are some connections where you might not want that to happen.

The OEM stuffed black polyurethane sealer in the wire side of the connector to keep water and road grime out. This is also a good idea. The dielectric grease won't do this for you so both dielectric grease and urethane sealer are warranted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts