Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey fellow Washingtonians!!!

I work for a home improvement retailer and I am planning on having some kind of Contractor Event in the late spring/early summer time frame. Normally we have a bunch of vendor reps come out and tell the contractors why they should shop with us and by their products etc, etc. I had the thought of having a makeshift small car show to help drum up some interest and increase the attendance.
My question is would anyone here be interested in bringing their rides over for that? I would like to have 20 to 25 cars. It would be an early morning/afternoon thing. I even thought of having all the contractors vote on the best of show and have a prize for the winner. The prize would most likely be something from the store, power tools, hand tools, or something like that. Probably in the $200 to $300 range.
Let me know what you think guys. I know there are a few members on here in this area. I will probably also shoot out a post to some of the car clubs and other forums that I am connected with.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, had to give this post a little bump here.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hi there Camrod67 ,I read your thread yesterday ,but not enough time to reply ,only computer is at work ,home one done blew up…I would like to be kept posted on your date in the future and come meet you and some other Camaro people, as for bringing my car she won't make it that far ,I am still running my race motor and trans ,so I am forced to stay local this season of nice weather ,thanks for the invite and hope to see you and other folks in the future and always Happy Motoring :beers:

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Camrod, Keep us up to speed on everything and I'm sure that we can get enough cars for you. I am across the pond from you, but have family all over the peninsula! I can even make an announcement to the Pacific Northwest Camaro club for you if you like. We have several members over towards Bremerton!!
Dan B:beers: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still haven't decided when I am going to have the event. I don't know if I will have my car running in time. I will probably do it in May or June. I should be able to get it on the road, but it will be no where near show quality. I am in need of a paint job. The paint is starting to bubble an some kind of black liquid comes out when I pick the bubble. Not good!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'll be there when you have it. But probly wouldn't bring my car. It looks horrible right now. Very bad paint.

Let me know where you get yours painted because I've priced around and everyone just says 10k immediately. By their attitude, it seems like they would rather not have my business. They must make more money with collision work.

Let me know where and when for the car show and I'll be there.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
You are correct Mike, they do make more on collision Insurance work, I painted my car at my buddy's shop back in 95 and we added up the labor (as I was on strike during that time) so I spent 8 hrs a day on prep for 1 month and he shot it in 6 hrs ,so to make a long story short ,labor + materials =back then was 5,000$ at today's rates and materials it doubled 10k is about right for a B rated paint job A rated or show quality like Chip Foose upwards of high teens to 20K .hope to see you all soon ..Happy Motoring

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
I would be interested in coming over from Edmonds. My 69 Camaro will be done by then with an option of bringing my Challenger as well------ WEATHER permitting! Charlie

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will be in Silverdale, sorry I forgot to mention that.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Cool, I'd come spectate I'm sure. I'm not much of a car show participater (is that even a word?), I do like to look though.
Make it at Bremerton raceway and I'm sure I could drag the old bucket out then :D

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Cool, I'd come spectate I'm sure. I'm not much of a car show participater (is that even a word?), I do like to look though.
Make it at Bremerton raceway and I'm sure I could drag the old bucket out then :D
I've been to Bremerton Raceway, its where I race mostly.

Silverdale, I'd have to trailer it but you know, I probly wouldn't bring it, my paint is not good. Rather embarrassing.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Bremerton is a cool track, still very "old school". I've run my Camaro there and we usually run the race car out there once or twice, but as it gets faster the track sure gets shorter and the groove gets narrower, we almost need to run an 1/8 mile there with it anymore, low 7's at 180-190 is a bit much when the shutdown area ends where the highway begins....:D

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
They will be loosing there N H R A sanction as N H R A wants permanent barriers and being a air field that can't happen so they mite close at worse or go wildcat but also insurance could play a major roll in it all ,hope it all works out as I have spent plenty of time over 25 yrs there…Happy Motoring

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Hi Matt ,I was being conservative I guess ha. Then my paint must be upwards of 15k as she was parked(in a heated garage covered) for 12 yrs since I painted her…WOW I could not afford to redo again as only real cash out of pocket was materials and that was 800 hundred and 1 month of my labor ..Things that make you go Hmmm…Happy Motoring

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Check this out:

A friend of mine obtained a 67 Camaro that was mostly restored to factory specs. A GM built, very fresh 327, all new running gear and interior.

The paint wasn't good. The person that painted it, tried and almost pulled it off but the paint bubbled.

My friend bought this car last year for.........................

9k. :eek: :disco:

Great deal!!!!

So he wants good paint so he calls here and calls there and beats the brush and finds a place that will do a non show room job for 6k. Once again, EXCELLENT deal!!
Only the more these guys worked, the more they made it their pet project and only brought the price up to about 7k but now it looks beautiful. It looks just wonderful.
It looks like the car was dipped in some sort of candied, chocolate. It just glistens.
This shop declared, "NEVER AGAIN". They said they lost money and spent too much time. More than 6 mos. They said they'd do mine for not less than double. It was a one time deal.

So now, he's looking for a place to put it while he travels for business. Which is frequently. He's going to put it at his girlfriends house. In her garage. He doesn't want to put a car cover on it till the paint cures.
His girlfriend has a 17 year old boy that loves hotrods. Especially classics. She also has a spoiled daughter that has no respect for anything.
The cat is going to walk on it, the kids will scrape their bikes on it, the boy will be sitting in it, trying to drive or showing it to his friends or trying to get laid in it.
These kids as well as the cat have very little boundaries.

If this was your car, a near show room paint job on a 67 Camaro, pretty much fully restored, where would you put it if you were away?

Maybe I should have started this as a whole new thread.

Am I crazy to rave to him to be more careful? I've told him to put it in a storage facility with a very high end car cover on it.

Am I correct to assume that if he cheaps, he is going to pay?

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Mike ,tell him he is CRAZY ,sounds like the kids are from H-LL ,outta control ,what he gets is what he gets,its a shame he is treating that car like a old broke down toyota,almost breaks my heart as he will be VERY lucky if he gets back and there is no damage...Alls I can do is shake my head ...Happy Motoring

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
They will be loosing there N H R A sanction as N H R A wants permanent barriers and being a air field that can't happen so they mite close at worse or go wildcat but also insurance could play a major roll in it all ,hope it all works out as I have spent plenty of time over 25 yrs there…Happy Motoring
Jerome, I have heard that for this very reason they are likely going to try to sell the track after this season, regardless I sure hope it stays a track. The one thing they have is the property is not much good for much else, out in the sticks like it is.
Boy I would hate to see it shut down (any track), it's just a cool track plus they really treat you well out there, they appreciate every racer it seems (sometimes Pacific fails in that area but they are getting better). But the track really needs some barriers installed, if one of the 7 or 6 second cars (heck even 8 second) lost it, it would get really REALLY ugly fast. Last year while I was waiting in the lanes I saw an old volvo drag car (8 sec car) get out of shape about 60' out, and flip repeatedly and go over the barriers right into the pits on the tower side. About 2 hours later one of our buddies in a 6 second car got wicked loose at about 1000' but dumped the laundry just in time, had he lost it it would have been a horrific crash. Sadly it seems, to be safe they need to upgrade the barriers or limit the length (run 1/8 mile), as much as I hate seeing any pressure put on any track, it sometimes is just needed in the name of safety, nobody wants to see somebody killed, god forbid.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.