Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to install the new deluxe door panels in my car. It is equiped with the remote rear view mirror on the door. I need to make a hole in the door panel to run the control for the mirror through. Can anyone help with a good way to make this hole nice and clean? Many thanks!

·
15,370 Posts
I'd find the exact spot on the panel and cover it with a couple layers of heavy 1 1/2" or 2" masking tape, mark the hole on the tape with a pen or whatever, and use the sharpest razor blade you can find to cut the circular hole in the upholstry. Then keep slowely working on the backing material until you have the hole all the way through.

You could drill it with a hole saw on your drill but I'd think it would bind or tear up the upholstry.

My .01

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, ripping up the soft skin of the door panel with a drill is my biggest concern. I think I will try as you suggest and cut this by knife and then maybe drill through the thick plastic backing after the upholstry has been cut.

·
Registered
331 Posts
when I had to do the similar thing, I cut the vynal outer part first with an hobby knife (exacto knife). For the thicker rear material I used an utility knife and slowly keeped going around the circuilar diamater until it cut thru. Take your time and it should come out great.

You will want to put some spray adhesive glue under the vynal edge of the reaming materal you are cutting out to keep it from moving around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts