Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a cardboard mock-up but wondering what you all think both good and bad. I started fabricated the parts to see how it goes making it out of 16 gauge steel.

Attachments

Reactions: zboss86 and DOUG G

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like it! very cool idea, maybe have it wrap with a carbon fiber vinyl
or just paint it black either way.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
20,002 Posts
Paint black and hydro-dip to whatever you like ;)

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paint black and hydro-dip to whatever you like ;)
Now it there was a was to hydro dip the roll bar welded into my car - i'd be all over that!

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the actual spoiler all tack welded together and clamped on with vise grips. The last pic is the side view - you'll notice I switched from '68 to '69 marker lights for that low profile look:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
20,002 Posts
How tall is that....looks great :beers:

You might want to make a few more :yes: ;) hint hint

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How tall is that....looks great :beers:

You might want to make a few more :yes: ;) hint hint
Thanks! If I had the proper tools I might consider it. I made this out of 16GA sheet steel that I had left over from smoothing my firewall. Used only an electric 4" grinder with a cut off wheel to make all my cuts. Would have been a lot easier if I had access to a shear, brake and notcher lol. I only made it 3-1/2" vertical in height and the splitter plate projects out 3-3/4". I initially had it taller, but shortened it as my driveway is kinda steep at the bottom and I'd hate to rip it off before I even made it onto the road - not to mention it looks more proportioned this way.:thumbsup: Debating now whether to go with stainless steel adjustable support arms or not.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:beers:Thanks Brent

·
14,482 Posts
My concern would be lack lack of flexibility if you hit something with the spoiler.

The oem plastic one give but a steel one bolted in place would tend to tear up body panels.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My concern would be lack lack of flexibility if you hit something with the spoiler.

The oem plastic one give but a steel one bolted in place would tend to tear up body panels.
Hummm good thought - good thing I made it bolt on lol. One thought I had is that if I hit a small animal - the splitter would slice and dice the little bugger......if I kept it on maybe I should change my car to project roadkill???l:)

·
14,482 Posts
Hummm good thought - good thing I made it bolt on lol. One thought I had is that if I hit a small animal - the splitter would slice and dice the little bugger......if I kept it on maybe I should change my car to project roadkill???l:)
I looks like it bolts to the lower valance and the lower front fender extensions.

If you hit a curb or small animal it will do some serious damage to the sheet metal it's bolted to.

I've looked at several metal ones for my Protour cars and the possible damage to the body if the spoiler hits something has kept me from doing it on any of my builds.

Good job on the fab work.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You could always use plastic or aluminum bolts to secure it to the car, kind of like a "breakaway" mount. That would work okay if you bumped a curb but, an animal not so good as it might breakaway and shred your front tires. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One of my clients owns Smooth-On. It is a company that that sells a 2 part epoxy - really cool stuff. I'll give him a call and see if he could recommend one of his products to me. Have used it in the past to reproduce intricate carved moldings that were painted of course and it works flawlessly. 1st you make a lined box and pour your 2 part mold - let dry for a few hours and them mix up and pour your part.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you can make a spoiler from a lighter gauge than the part it is bolted to the spoiler could become the sacrificial part if it was hit. I have crashed a couple lighter metal spoilers with no car body damage.
That really isn't an option unless you omited the the splitter. Finally got gas last nite for the welder. Before I welded the splitter on, the entire spoiler had flex - once welded it is a ridgid beast!

·
Registered
360 Posts
It looks nice. It's similar to mine. I don't have a great pic but you can sorta see it here. Since I'm not so great with the welder I had someone fab it up for me.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It looks nice. It's similar to mine. I don't have a great pic but you can sorta see it here. Since I'm not so great with the welder I had someone fab it up for me.]

Really nice looking car! Yours is the same concept - I agree. Do you get any wind noise or chatter from that design? That was one of my worries

1 - 20 of 34 Posts