Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 396 manifold is the wrong shade of silver. What is the appropriate color for the manifold and where could I get some good heat resistant paint (Spray can)?

·
Registered
280 Posts
4 AM here in Aus, Can't sleep.

Which 396 is it?

Um here's somthing interesting. Just had a look in my book "Original Camaro" and it appears the 325 HP & 350 HP were both painted the same color as the engine.

If it's a 375 with the alloy manifold the correct "color" is none at all but "Natural aluminum"

The Engine in my 68 SS/RS is the 325 HP version so mine will be painted.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'm going to have Jerry McNeish do his magic on mine. I have Jet hot on them now, While they look great, they do not look original. I doubt you will be able to get the correct look of just-cast iron, from a rattle can.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm going to have Jerry McNeish do his magic on mine. I have Jet hot on them now, While they look great, they do not look original. I doubt you will be able to get the correct look of just-cast iron, from a rattle can.
Hey Unreal.

They have some really accurate looking natural finishes for cast iron and alloy now. I've seen a few of them and you'd be hard pressed to pick them. (of course and expert may but it's better than rusty/oxidised parts unless your car is a show car).

Can anyone confirm if the manifold on the 375 HP 396 was alloy or cast steel? I assumed that because they were silver they were alloy.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
The 396/375 intake manifolds are cast aluminum (alloy) and were natural. The 325 and 350 horsepower 396s' were cast iron and painted orange like the rest of the motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts