Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 Camaro, Manual brakes. What's the best conversion, to power or hydraboost sytem or?????

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Depends upon your manifold vacuum.

If you have a big cam you have no bottom end power and not enough manifold vacuum to operate power assist brakes. In that case you use a HydraBoost off a diesel powered light truck or van (that has zero manifold vacuum because they are open to the atmosphere). This assumes you already have a power steering pump. If not you have to buy a pump and brackets to make the HydraBoost work. If you buy a stock Saginaw power steering pump you can use the stock plumbing (hoses) off of the truck that donated the brake master cylinder. Be sure to bleed the lines thoroughly as the wheels will flop back and forth like a freshly landed fish other wise.

If you have a stock cam an eleven inch stock booster will work. You need to change the master cylinder, push rod and add a power vacuum booster. Power assisted brakes works with drums or discs. The only people that complain about the stock booster are those who run tall valve covers with a big block that isn't using the proper frame stands. Otherwise even tall valve covers clear.

The master cylinders differ in the rear where the push rod from the brake pedal enters. I recommend buying a kit for everything; as you know the parts will then fit together this way (assumes you are thinking about going to front discs as well in the future).

Big Dave

·
10,144 Posts
I don't like the feel of Hydraboost. We do a lot of Autocrossing and I think they tend to lock up the brakes easier than a vacuum booster. It's probably a good system for a street car.
I like Manual brakes for best feel but pedal pressure is pretty high for stock diameter rotors. If you to to 14" rotors then Manual system looks good.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I just went with a complete kit , I believe from RICKS for just front disks using the 11" booster
I have a large cam, so I added a vacuum canister. no problem stopping

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Assuming you have already converted to disc brakes all around, you can just stick with the manual. I have manual brakes in mine and love it.

·
10,144 Posts
Assuming you have already converted to disc brakes all around, you can just stick with the manual. I have manual brakes in mine and love it.
How much pedal pressure do you think it takes to skid a tire? Do you have stock rotors? 1" bore master cyl?

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
How much pedal pressure do you think it takes to skid a tire? Do you have stock rotors? 1" bore master cyl?
Not sure - never locked them up. I have Dynapro set-up from wilwood 6 piston 12" front and 4 piston rear with a 1" bore master cyl.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts