Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple times I've taken my '67 out for a spin, the 6 speed doesn't "feel" right.

It's Richmond 6 speed. When I go to shift into any gear (1-2, 2-3, 3-4 etc.) it feels like I'm pushing against heavy mush...like pushing against rubber to get into gear.
There's no grinding or anything like that.

Could something be up with the tranny fluid?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David
67 RS/SS w/ '97 LT1 & 6 speed

·
3,386 Posts
David,
I am not real familiar with the Richmond 6 speeds. How is it when you first start the motor and put it into 1st ? How about reverse.....does it tend to grind ? If the clutch is not releasing completely, it will make it hard to shift, but it should really grind going into reverse as there is no syncro.
Otherwise, I cannot think of anything. Fluid should not have started causing the problem all at once. I would give richmond a shout on Monday and get thier advice.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner
1973 Z-28 ..one family car...Brother bought it new in 73

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I had a similar problem on a Toyota truck...somehow a bushing around the shift lever got torn on the trans install and had gotten wedged between the lever and part of the gearbox. Pull the boot and see if there is anything caught in there or out of place.

Might be a quick fix!

Another thing to check...do you have the proper grade gear lube in the tranny? If you are using a thicker lube it can slow the shifting (especially if it has just gotten real cold).

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 11-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by choptop (edited 11-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I was guess the lube also.

I do not know what lube should be in this trans but my 2002 Trans Am WS6 6speed manual OD trans uses ATF.

Might want to go with a synthetic for the best possible protection.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the ideas.

I checked all the linkages and around the shifter itself to make sure there was no external mechanical binding. All was good from that standpoint.

I think perhaps it's a combintaion of the older (dino) fluid and the fact it's colder now. (didn't start till it got cold.).

I have noticed that if I drive the car for awhile, then come back and drive it later, the problem gets a lot better.

I'm going to take the suggestion and call Richmond Monday and see if they recommend anyone's synthetic fluid.

Thanks again,
David

[This message has been edited by 67LT1 (edited 11-25-2001).]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just called Richmond...

Time to change my fluid.

They recommend using Redline 75/90 NS (non-limited slip additive).

Thanks again everyone for chiming in.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts