Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While working under my car I watched the pitman arm while turning the steering wheel. Before the tire would turn the shaft (sector shaft) moved up then started to rotate. Is this the way it is supposed to move? In other words it was not a pure rotation.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Re: Manual steering fear

You need either a rebuild of your gear or a new one. You shouldn't have more than a few thousandths up and down motion of the sector shaft. It should be controlled by the special bolt in the cover and some shims in the slot in the sector shaft where the special head on the bolt sits.

JIML82

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It was rebuilt. Bad job I guess. Who can do a good job?

The movement is forward and rearward. Perpendicular to the shaft, not up and down on the shaft axis. I originally described it as up and down because of the tilt of the gear.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I had some help.:D

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I had these guys do it and did a great job. Rebuilt the whole thing and rebushed it. Mine was $300, but they had to replace the shaft and sector, even put a new bushing in the top cover. I bet your play is the bushing being worn out. Mine was galled and trashed. I got them to rebush the top because I wanted to keep the box original and they said it's very hard to do and doesn't always work, but mine did. Only took them one day. Tell them your a TC member and I had mine done with them and they might cut a deal.

http://www.prosteering.com/

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was rebuilt. Bad job I guess. Who can do a good job?

The movement is forward and rearward. Perpendicular to the shaft, not up and down on the shaft axis. I originally described it as up and down because of the tilt of the gear.
JIML82 are you out there?

68project, if I need another rebuild I will talk to them. It already cost be $300.:mad:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I know that one of the Corvette Forum members rebuilds Corvette manual gears. He custom hones special bushings in the steering gear housing barrel so that there is only 0.002 clearance to the sector shaft. He says that the factory tolerances were something like 0.005 and if the bushings are worn you can actually see the play in the sector shaft to housing. I do not recall what he says about the side cover bushing. I know that there is a bushing in the side cover but I just don't know what kind of clearances.

A freshly rebuilt gear should not have play in the sector shaft to housing.

I will post a question on the Corvette Forum concerning the side cover bushing clearance.
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
68project, if I need another rebuild I will talk to them. It already cost be $300.:mad:
I know, I had no idea if these guys were any good, but someone on here gave me a link to them and they were about a mile from my work. I got lucky I guess and am very happy with their work.:hurray:

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know that one of the Corvette Forum members rebuilds Corvette manual gears. He custom hones special bushings in the steering gear housing barrel so that there is only 0.002 clearance to the sector shaft. He says that the factory tolerances were something like 0.005 and if the bushings are worn you can actually see the play in the sector shaft to housing. I do not recall what he says about the side cover bushing. I know that there is a bushing in the side cover but I just don't know what kind of clearances.

A freshly rebuilt gear should not have play in the sector shaft to housing.

I will post a question on the Corvette Forum concerning the side cover bushing clearance.
Jim
Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts