Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 67 has manual steering (Casting#5679142). It has the long Pittman arm and 5.75 horizontal on Idler. When I turn the input shaft to turn the sector shaft I get 6.5 turns lock to lock. The degree of travel is about 85 degrees ( I dont have a degree wheel), and when I do the calculation I get about 13:1 steering ratio. I would like to keep the manual steering, but, am concerned that I may regret keeping it manual. I will be running 205 60 R15 tires and wheels. I did grow up in the day of get the car rolling before you try to turn the wheel. I would appreciate any thoughts from people with like manual gears

·
20,134 Posts
Manual steering and a spool here....makes for fun turns....also 205/60/15's

I have no issues except on very tight full lock turns in a parking lot type situation.

I do have some slop in the steering....which I still need to look at.

·
14,726 Posts
Nothing wrong with manual steering unless you’re a total wus.

Rolling before turning is a lost art. If you got it down you’ll be fine.

Caveat. Unless you have real wide tires up from. With 205s a teenage girl could do it while texting. lol

Reactions: 69Z28

·
Registered
1967 Camaro
600 Posts
I have manual steering on my 67 and have 205s. As I tell my wife it’s easy to steer when your rolling

·
Registered
352 Posts
Before radial tires (more contact area on the road), the old nylon bias ply tires of stock width offered little resistance to the driver at the steering wheel. However, no one has the courage to drive on these old rock hard nylon relics.
Old cars need old techniques to make them livable. Rolling turns were absolutely necessary with the 68RS on 70 series radials and I didn't mind them. However, I had to add power due to the complaints of the other half. I prefer non-power for the feel of the road.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the gear rebuilt by RedHead, and need to torque the nut on sector shaft thus attaching the Pittman arm. The shaft is tapered the torque specs I have seen vary widely up to 250lbft. I thought I would go with 150 lbft.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I also have manual and 225/60 on 15s and I hate it. Is there a kit sold somewhere to buy? I am disabled and can barely drive this beast.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts