Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering if the front brake lines are different from manual drum brakes to disc brakes. any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
manual drum to power brake......I have this power booster master cylinder:

http://www.mpbrakes.com/products/product-detail.cfm?product_id=184

and I have original stock like disc brake calipers/rotors/spindles/etc.

I also have Master Power's proportioning valve for disc/drum.....as well as the 16" hoses that come up to meet the lines.....

I was wondering if the drum brake lines (manual) would work with power disc brakes or if I still need to get the disc brake lines

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
front brakes have a hose that comes up and meets the subframe and then becomes a hardline. Both disc/drum meet in the same location.
They are different. The drum brake hardline goes down over the frame rail and points down to the ground. The factory disc hardline terminates on top of the framerail in a horizontal position.

Factory Drum

Factory Disc

The factory disc flex line is attached to the upper a arms with a clip held by a bolt. The factory drum set-up seems like a better deal to me if swapping front brakes, seems to make routing the flex line easier.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Al's pics and advice are true for a 69 model car; however, for 67 and 68 models, the front brake hardlines and flex hoses meet/connect at a bracket on the side of the frame rail, like a 69 drum car.

The AIMs do show different part numbers for the front hardlines for the standard brakes (manual drums) vs. power (both power drum and power front disc use the same hardline part numbers), but they connect at the same place on the frame rail side.

Looking at the drawings, it appears the manual drum lines are bent a little differently, because they fit into the splitter block/warning switch with the master cylinder mounted directly on the firewall (vs. mounted on the power booster).

Now, the question is, which flex lines do you have? Are you using 69 style, single piston calipers, or the original 67-68 style four piston units? Flex lines for original 67-68 style calipers run from the frame rail to a bracket on the caliper back, and then there is another, short hardline into the caliper itself. Flex lines for the 69-up single piston calipers have a banjo fitting on the end, and connect directly to the caliper. If your flex lines are the 69 style, and they are made for converting a 67-68 car to 69 style brakes, then they should be long enough to connect to the hardline on the frame rail side. If you got actual 69 style and length disc brake hoses, they were meant to be connected as Al has shown above.

Two bottom line issues here: If the flex hoses are long enough to connect to the 67-68 hardlines without getting pulled, they should work. However, if the original hardlines are OE to the car, and therefore 40 plus years old, it is cheap insurance to buy new ones...

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Al's pics and advice are true for a 69 model car; however, for 67 and 68 models, the front brake hardlines and flex hoses meet/connect at a bracket on the side of the frame rail, like a 69 drum car.
Thanks for setting me straight on that, Tom. Sometimes I forget they made these things for 3 years, and I learned something. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts