Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi… I am chasing some tech help on my 1968 SS Camaro.
I have basically a stock car fitted with American Racing Headers. I was looking at upgrading the manual steering to Power steering (Quick Ratio). I have contacted a number of steering manufactures asking if there was such a kit available, keeping in mind of the headers. Some of the manufactures have replied that power steering won’t fit due to the headers (Space issues) and some say it won’t be a problem…. What a dilemma…… any advice will be greatly appreciated.
SS 1968

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Sean,
I made this conversion a few years ago on my '69 without issue. It's really easy. The header clearance issue is a valid concern. Contacting the manufacturer of the headers is the way to go. Some brands will fit and others won't without persuasion with a hammer. It never made any sense to me why they would make headers that wouldn't fit a Camaro with PS. My Afco Dynatech long tube headers fit, but it's tight. You may have to change out your headers if they won't fit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just keep in mind you might have to pound them in . My 68 has the biggest headers hooker makes and I didn't have to pound them in at all. Maybe the guy before me pounded the headers in before I got them but I don't think they are hammered in. I just checked and they are not pounded in so maybe I just got lucky loll. I'm actually swapping mine from power to manual soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and thanks for the information..... may I ask why are you returning to manual steer?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to all the guys that made the effort to help with tech information on making the move from manual steering to power steering. :beers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts